System Requirements for a filesharing computer?

Tim-KTim-K Southwest PA
edited September 2003 in Hardware
Amongst all the other things I do with my computers, I go to Kazaa for miscellaneous files now and then. I have a bunch of files I'd like to make available on the internet.

1. All 372 episodes of the old Computer Stew webshow
2. Several episodes of Cyberlove and Jennishow from www.thesync.com that I saved before they changed the site.

And I'd like to use a seperate computer for it, because I don't like to leave my computer switched on all the time when I'm not here.

A friend of mine has a bunch of old computers, and I can probably get one for free. We're talking 66, 100, or 133 Mhz Pentium processors at best, plus maybe 32 MB or 64 MB of RAM. I have a copy of 98 and an SE upgrade to load on it. And a hard drive that probably won't be more than a few GB.

Now, when plugged into my 768/128 DSL connection, would a low powered computer like that be able to do the job well?

I don't imagine it would take much processing power, and since it'd have a fully tuned copy of Norton Systemworks 2003 on it, I don't worry about viruses.

But the original creators of these webshows don't seem to think there are any people interested in these shows anymore, and I say there are. This computer would most likely be the ONLY computer in the world providing these episodes to people anywhere who want them!

I may even put the high rate versions of my own webshow on it for everyone.

I digress. Back to the big question. Would a low powered low memory computer be able to handle this job?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    That computer should be fine to just share files with.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited September 2003
    But you should get yourself a copy of Win NT. I know its quite old but it is much better for anything that implies networking.
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited September 2003
    NT > 98 in terms of networking :\

98 will work if you don't want to fork the cash for NT (Does MS still sell it?). Don't let the publisher catch you sharing :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Any advantages that NT has > 98 in networking will be completely moot if he's just running it as a Kazaa server. It's not like it's on a corporate lan :rolleyes: