Incredibly expensive case - wtf?

lewicronlewicron Glasgow
edited May 2006 in Hardware
:wow2: :wow2: :wow2:

I've just been drooling over high end pc components that I'll never be able to afford, and have stumbled upon this case from Zalman:

http://www.vadim.co.uk/Cooling+%26+Modding/Cases/Performers/Zalman+TNN+500AF+noiseless+Case+%28400W%29

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=153&code=020

Granted, it looks pretty swish, but how can it possibly cost OVER EIGHT HUNDRED OF THE QUEENS GREAT BRITISH POUNDS??!!! Somebody please clear this up for me - is the technology in this thing really that out there? It may be cool but aint the fonz. Who would possibly buy this and what would he gain from such an enormous cash-hemorrhage?

Also, doesn't it look like like a heater? :)

Comments

• MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited May 2006
    it uses heatpipes for all the components instead of fans. basically your saving yourself some fan noise and maybe a couple degrees. this is probably not the best solution out there, and is probably being bought by those with a disposable income and vho dont know any better. its not really advanced, its just a different (and expensive) approach to cooling.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Yes, you're paying A LOT for some silence in your PC.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Coming in at a mere 26Kg's (57lbs) it also weighs a ton and is not something you would take to your local Lan. With the rest of the components added it will push it way past 30Kg's. I can see why it needs to be on wheels. Unless you in training for the strongman competition :D

Something that really amuses me....it comes with a noiseless PSU, so why the stock fan exhaust grid complete with mounting holes :scratch:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    nm, i thought they were peltiers...but they are just heatpipes...i honestly think the price has something to do with convience (if you were to set it up yourself it wouldnt look as nice but it would cost half as much) that and its being sold in the UK, and ive generally noticed that everything in the europe is generally more expensive than in the US,especially when you deal with electronics ie) an ipod 30gb in poland is damn near 600 bucks...and they dont even bother selling 60gb models cuz it would cost an arm and a leg...but at any rate...for heatpipes and some professionaly touch, i dont think id spend 2000 bucks on it, now if it cost 1000 and had peltiers and a watercooling unit installed, we are cooking with some propane now
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    thats dumb, doesnt matter how many heat pipes you cram in a case if you dont have air to carry the air away from them its useless. you still need air flow moving by the sinks.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited May 2006
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']thats dumb, doesnt matter how many heat pipes you cram in a case if you dont have air to carry the air away from them its useless. you still need air flow moving by the sinks.

well anyone paying that much for a case is dumb to begin with.