Time Code Break Error in Adobe Premiere

WISKINITAWISKINITA san antonio, TEXAS
edited September 2006 in Internet & Media
when I capture in Premiere Pro, it captues for a few seconds and then turns to black and stops capturing the film.

I once read a thing about time code breaks. It said to "black" the tapes and then rewind them and record over the film that was "blacked" (or recorded with no mic and the cam lense cover on).

Any ideas about how to combat this "Time Code Break" Error? :shakehead

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited September 2006
    What media format are you capturing from? And what was used to record that timecode?

Timecode is laid down on professional media formats using an audio signal on a special audio track. When you start recording on a tape with a camera or on the tape deck, timecode starts being laid down. Normally, it starts at 00:00:00:00 (hours, minutes, seconds, frames.) You can also pre-set the starting timecode to be whatever you want it to be. For instance, when doing a photo shoot for a video or commericial, etc, photogs will often advance the "hour" value of each tape, so that tape 1 always shows 01 as the hour, and tape 2 shows 02, and so on.

If you do a hard stop, timecode will stop recording. If you stop recording, then start recording again, you will have a break in timecode. When you are trying to capture media to an edit suite, the editor will often have problems recording across a timecode break, as it is not able to keep the timecode continuous, which is important to the way the editor functions.

Many professional tape decks and cameras have an edit mode that will resume recording cleanly, without this break. There are 2 types of edits it can do: assemble, and insert. Assemble will lay down all tracks: video, audio, timecode. In that case, it will detect the the last timecode recorded, and resume from there. Some cameras can not do that though, and only allow insert edits: record audio or video or both, but not lay down new time code. In this case, it is necessary to "black" a tape: record black (and timecode) to the entire tape before use, then when shooting withthe camera, use insert edits after each stop, so that you are simply laying down new video and audio over the black, and using the pre-recorded timecode.

You will have to check the manual to see what your camera (which is what I am assuming you are using) is capable of.

Dexter...
  • WISKINITAWISKINITA san antonio, TEXAS
    edited September 2006
    awesome! that explains so much man. I use a Canon XL1s 3CCD cam. I won't be albe to believe it if I really have to black the tape for this cam. The prog is Adobe Premiere Pro. I appreciate your knowledge.