Apple adds Core 2 Duo MacBook, drops Mac Guy

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
Apple unveiled new MacBook laptops today packing Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, while Radar is reporting Justin Long, the actor who plays the Mac in the popular TV commercials, has gone the way of Ellen Feiss.

Apple announced today its MacBook laptops will now come with Intel's Core 2 Duo processor. This replaces the Core Duo found in previous 1.83GHz and 2GHz model MacBooks. Other hardware specs and prices will remain the same, but the new processor will provide up to a 25 percent increase in speeds in common application tasks for the 2GHz model. Part of the performance increase is attributed to doubling the processor's L2 cache.
4MB of shared L2 cache augments the advanced Core 2 Duo processor on the 2.0GHz models. That’s double the amount previously available, and it really lets MacBook fire on all cylinders. With such substantial L2 cache, data and instructions can be kept close to those two processor cores, greatly increasing performance and allowing the entire system to work more efficiently. And, because the processor cores share the L2 cache, either can use the entire amount if the other happens to be idle.

As Apple's products get a simple revision, so too do their commercials. Radar is reporting actor Justin Long will not be playing the hip, cool Mac in the company's upcoming commercials. The director of the "I'm a Mac" campaign, Phil Morrison and actor John Hodgman will return, with Hodgman taking the role once again as PC.
mac-pc.jpg

Perhaps the new Mac actor will be 25 percent faster than the previous?

Source: Apple

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Perhaps the new Mac actor will be filled with 25% less bull****, too!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Macworld sez the performance difference is something like 10%. Not that Apple HQ would ever spin anything out of proportion, or anything ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Gawd I hated those commercials, and they actually made me NOT wanna get a MAC becuase of the BS they spew.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Not living in the US, I obviously miss a lot of "culture" and more than often people referred to in various posts mean nothing to me.
    So when I come across a little Gem like the Ellen Feiss Mac Add, I love it!!

I think the reason that add is so cool is because she looks so natural. Being half zonked out her mind obviously helps and of course the fact that she's really cute!:hitit2:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited November 2006
    wiki link
    In the commercial, the then-14-year-old

:wtf:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    :D
    That's where I got the link from, for the Google Vid. I had already read up about her and how she came to make the video. That was made 4 years ago which makes her 18, so I think I'm safe with my comment :O
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited November 2006
    From another forum...
  • edited November 2006
    The dude who plays the PC was a guest corrospondant on The Daily Show a few nights ago. He's actually really funny.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited November 2006
    Perhaps the new Mac actor will be 25 percent faster than the previous?

But if you want to print from the new Mac actor, you'll have to switch back to "Mac Actor Classic".