Windows Movie Maker does not recognize Sony HC30

edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
My computer won't recognize my camcorder when I plug it in with the ilink cable. I'm using Windows Movie Maker. I tried uninstalling the IEEE drivers on my computer, restarted the system and connected my camcorder. The drivers got automatically installed but still the Movie Maker s/w won't recognize the camcorder.

The camcoder is switched on and is in the "Play/Edit" mode. As soon as the firewire cable is connected "DV IN" is displayed in the camcorder's LCD screen. Does this mean it is DV in and not DV out? How do I set the DV out so that the movie maker s/w recognizes the camcorder?

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2006
    Yes, it sounds like you are connected to input to the camera, not output to a computer.

What kind of camera is it? Make and model. Let us know and someone may be able to help you.

Dexter...
  • edited November 2006
    It is Sony DCR-HC30 MiniDV camcorder. There is only 1 iLink port on the camcorder and I used that to connect to my computer. As soon as I connect the firewire cable to the computer, the "DV IN" appears in the LCD screen. I checked the manual to see if there is any setting or any other OUT port but could not find any.

Thanks for your help.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2006
    I see from a review that this model has an MPEG movie mode as well as the MiniDV mode. Are you recording in the MPEG mode? If you are, Windows Movie Maker will not recognize the media when you connect it. WMM does not work with MPEG based recordings.

Dexter...
  • edited November 2006
    I believe the MPEG movie recording mode is to record to the Memory Stick Duo. I could not find any menu setting where I can change the type of recording. So, I guess the recording is done in the MiniDV mode.