C2D folding vs P4 Prescott

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Folding@Home
For those who may still be in doubt about the power of the C2D, this is my EMIII from home.

The first 2 are my main rig, a C2D E6600, currently at stock speeds of 2.4, vs oneof my other folding boxes, a P4 2.8GHz Prescott. While the prescott was never a real screamer when it came to folding, it is an army of them that helped me move up the ranks to where I sit now.

I'm just waiting for some spare time so I can work on cranking the speed up.

Comments

• OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited December 2006
    DanG, that is a really huge improvement! :wow2:

< >>> Wondering (and hoping :) )if there might be a similar improvement with a 2.0GHz Merom over an ailing, 4-year-old P4 2.4GHz /533 laptop. <<<

I wonder where the big boost comes from- cache? I don’t know if dumping Netburst or pumping up the system bus speed alone would account for what looks like nearly a 150% improvement on one core! Any chance the 2.8 might have had some background task running or other issue? I just never would have dreamed that the difference would be that large!

Anyhow- congratulations on having such an awesome folding machine! :thumbsup:

(Any thought about upgrading your “army”? ZZZZZZING! hehe)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    :wow: That's nice!!!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
  • edited December 2006
    Is there anyone who could make a similar comparison between FX-62 and E6600? I would greatly appreciate since I am trying to decide replacing one of my aging boxes.

PS: I will not really buy FX-62, I will just buy an Opty-165 and overclock to 2.8 GHz which becomes practically an FX-62.

Sledge, your items are much better quality than my budget :respect: . I will only buy a cheap motherboard (probably refurrb) and a low-end dual core. I have the other parts.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Is there anyone who could make a similar comparison between FX-62 and E6600? I would greatly appreciate since I am trying to decide replacing one of my aging boxes.

PS: I will not really buy FX-62, I will just buy an Opty-165 and overclock to 2.8 GHz which becomes practically an FX-62.

Sledge, your items are much better quality than my budget :respect: . I will only buy a cheap motherboard (probably refurrb) and a low-end dual core. I have the other parts.
    An Opti 170 @ 2.5Ghz does a Ribo in 46 hours, an E6600 @ stock does a Ribo in 35 hours.

Datsun 1600
  • edited December 2006
    An Opti 170 @ 2.5Ghz does a Ribo in 46 hours, an E6600 @ stock does a Ribo in 35 hours.

Datsun 1600

Thank you Datsun. It seems that, even at 2.8 GHz, an Opti will be significantly slower than E6600 at stock. I think, I need to have a closer look at E6300 for overclocking although it will be a more expensive upgrade for me.
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited December 2006
    mirage wrote:
    Thank you Datsun. It seems that, even at 2.8 GHz, an Opti will be significantly slower than E6600 at stock. I think, I need to have a closer look at E6300 for overclocking although it will be a more expensive upgrade for me.
    Well if you can wait, January 21st is when Intel release the E4300 with 800fsb (9 x 200fsb) and 2Mb cache, should do well on the ASrock 775Dual-VSTA.

Datsun 1600
  • edited December 2006
    Well if you can wait, January 21st is when Intel release the E4300 with 800fsb (9 x 200fsb) and 2Mb cache, should do well on the ASrock 775Dual-VSTA.

Datsun 1600

I will wait then, thanks again.