Connecting two machines over a domain

edited December 2006 in Science & Tech
I have 5 Windows XP machines on the same Domain (running Windows 2K3). Two of these machines cannot talk to eachother at all. They can see eachother on the "Entire Network" list in Internet Explorer, and they can ping each other. But, if you try to select the opposite machine, I get the error;

"*the system address* is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The user name could not be found."

Other machines on the same domain can connect to either of the two machines just fine, and access their shares (ruling out any firewall issues). I've racked my brain for two hours now trying to get these machines to connect to one another, and no matter what, they refuse.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem before?

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    TheSmJ, I'm not sure its a common problem, if only because on a domain everyone wants to get to the server and the print queues, but really have no reason to get to each other's machines. I take it there's something about your network that machines need to browse each other?

Despite that side road, I assume you've taken a good look at permissons in the shares your trying to access? Have you just done "Everyone" or is it narrowed down at all?
  • edited December 2006
    One of the machines is a laptop and the other a desktop. both are owned by the same user so they need to trade data with each other quite often.

In any case, the shares themselves arent even visable from explorer (on the remote machine). if I even try to list the shares available on the other machine, I get the error above.

I tried adding specific usernames to the shares themselves including "everyone" and no dice. i cant recall if there is a way to hange the list of users allowed to even see the visable shares, but i dont believe there is.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    You could always call Tech Support and have an IT guy try to check it out?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited December 2006
    Are you logging onto the two machines with the local admin account or the domain admin account? Try logging into both with the domain admin login and see if they connect. Are they both within the same OU? Are their any GPOs prohibiting certain types of network access? Can you map a drive from each other to each other? Are there any soft-firewall rules sets for each other?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    You could always call Tech Support and have an IT guy try to check it out?
    Yeah, I mean, that'd probably be your best bet. Call a professional.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2006
    ^^all good questions^^ (meaing zero's, no offense QCH and Keebler)

and....some laptops have a complicated network profile thing that turns off File and Print sharing pretty much without asking you. It would live on the domain that way but you'd get that same error once you tried to browse.
  • edited December 2006
    Are you logging onto the two machines with the local admin account or the domain admin account? Try logging into both with the domain admin login and see if they connect. Are they both within the same OU? Are their any GPOs prohibiting certain types of network access? Can you map a drive from each other to each other? Are there any soft-firewall rules sets for each other?

No firewalls on either machine. They're both within the same OU. I'll need to check the GPO but isn't that controlled by the User, not by machine? They're both logged in as the same User (also set as local admin).

I'll try logging into the machines as Domain Admin and see what happens. If it doesn't work, how would I go about getting the machines to connect for all domain users?

@ QCH and GK

Thanks a lot!