New Case? / 10k Raptor HD's

RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
A question to some who have had 10k Raptors longer than me. I'm running a pair in RAID 0, which, with dual video cards (and other items) has become a very cramped space in a ATX Mid size tower (x-Cruiser, Aspire, 2x80mm front fan's, 120mm rear fan, possible 1 80mm side fan). I'm wondering if I'm gonna be running into heat issues in the case. I'm currently running everything at stock speeds (with a massive artic cooling h/s on cpu), but will probably look into OC'n things later this year. With the RAID 0 setup I'm mildely worried about a HD failure, not so much with the lost of data. But the downtime of a possible failure.

One of the things I was looking at (if I upgraded to a full size case) was a HD cooler that sits in a 5.25 bay, and hold's 1 HD (HERE). I was thinking about one of these for each of the Raptors. Hoping that they might help prevent against a failure, and extend the life span of the HD's. I've already picked up a couple of HD coolers that sit on top of the HD, but can't currently use them due to space in my midsize case.

Also, in terms of the case, I was looking at the V8000BWS (Thermaltake VA8000 Armor Super Tower Case - HERE). My wants/specifications being no front door (or a clear door that doesn't sit flush to the case), full size case, and something that looks decent. Side window being prefered, but not essential. I have zero intrest in saving space/weight/portability. This isn't for LAN'S. This was the only one that really jumped out at me. It also gives me space to put a bunch of useless **** (one 6 fan controler & premium x-fi audio card w/ front panel) that I really really need. :rolleyes:

And was wondering if anyone had any susgestions about other cases, or info about the heat on the Raptors and what (if anything) I should be doing to keep them cool.

EDIT: What's someones thoughts on the Thermaltake MozartTx VE1000BNS case? even though I have 2 systems, I would only be using this for 1 system. Would I be running into space issues for my system (specs in sig - would like to add 4th HD)? I've read some reviews who say there's tons of space, but I've heard the same for Mid Size towers, and mine is really crapmed after the wiring is done (I would have to remove tons to currently add or remove a HD).

Comments

• Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited January 2007
    If I was buying a full tower case, it would be one of the CoolerMaster Stackers.

Datsun 1600
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You can also check out the Antec Nine Hundred. I just moved my C2D into one and had some pretty massive temperature drops. There is room for 6 hard drives (more if you start using the 5.25" bays), and in the 2 hard drive racks there is a 120mm fan right infront of the drives and space between the drives, so there is lots of room. The case comes with a 200mm fan on top, 2 120s in the front and 1 in the back, with room to add 2 more, 1 in the door and one behind the hard drives.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I did actually take a look at both of those the other night. However, I thought the Antec 900 was a 'mid side case'. And with only 3 5.25 bays, I'm going to start running into restrictions on hardware right away.

Question, does anyone know of cases that come with more than 7 PCI slots on the back? I realise that the MB wouldn't line up with all of these, but it would be great for some of those items that only need to be wired to the MB, and aren't actually using the PCI slot itself (USB cards, External SATA plug w/power, cooler/blower's, etc).
  • edited January 2007
    A Full Tower ATX case with full room = AIR FLOW unless you opt to liquid cooling on CPU and or Vidoe Card. But Tigerdirect and NewEgg web sites have great deals on this cases. I have full tower without liquid cooling and all runs real stable on heat. My system is 2X74gig raptors, 2 gig memory, ATI X850 PE OC, 3.46 EE Intel. Hope I made some progress with your post.
    edited January 2007
    Ranger, just to clairfy, you're not running into any issues with your Raptors getting too hot? Do you use any sort of special cooling (HD coolers, etc) for the Raptors, or just the regular case fans?
  • edited January 2007
    Nope just case fans everything runs smooth. But again I would consider bigger aka full case. And insure its not obstructed from air flow on the case current location.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I have 3 Raptors along with 3 other drives in my case for the past 2 years and have had no problems at all. I don't use and HD coolers but just a 120mm fan blowing through the drives in the bay. My case which you won't find anymore measures 8 3/4W x 23H x 22D and is all aluminum. It has (1) 120mm fan and (1) 80mm fan blowing in the front and (1) 120mm fan and (2) 80mm fans blowing out the back. I hope this info helps.
    edited January 2007
    So I shouldn't be overly concerned. Thanks guys!