Memory for the future

NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
edited October 2003 in Hardware
I'm building a new system now, with an eye on the future. My plan is to build my new system with an ABIT NF7-S Motherboard and a XP 2500+ now, and then in a year, or year and a half, when 64 bits is really alive and well, switch the mb and CPU to an athlon-64.

Which memory should I buy so that I'm not laying down money for a gig of Corsair XMS-3200 that I may have to replace with the new mb and cpu? I guess the first question is, would I have to replace the memory if I went with XMS-3200? Should I buy different memory? Thanks.

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    At this point in time that may well be a very tough question.
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited October 2003
    You may want to wait, in two years time DDR-2 will become widely available... its already appearing on new video cards.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by NYCDrew
    I'm building a new system now, with an eye on the future. My plan is to build my new system with an ABIT NF7-S Motherboard and a XP 2500+ now, and then in a year, or year and a half, when 64 bits is really alive and well, switch the mb and CPU to an athlon-64.

Which memory should I buy so that I'm not laying down money for a gig of Corsair XMS-3200 that I may have to replace with the new mb and cpu? I guess the first question is, would I have to replace the memory if I went with XMS-3200? Should I buy different memory? Thanks.

This is one of the biggest tricks in the computer industry... :grin The industry leads you to believe that you will be able to expand and upgrade down the road, the problem with that is, for them down the road is like last week... :grin

In the 15+ years I have had dealing with computers and especialy in the last 3 years building systems for my friends and family, I can say that with out a doubt build your system as far as you can today for that particular build.
    The truth is that in a year to a year and a half the memory and CPU's will most likely not work in your current setup, and the stuff that would, will cost you as much or more to buy then than it does now. Sure you might find a deal on ebay for some used stuff to upgrade to but as it was already mentioned DDR 2 will probably be the standard just as by then the Athlon 64s will be comon and will not work in your borad...

My advice, for what its worth, is to get the fastest CPU and memory combination that you can afford for your borad with no thoughts of further upgrading... Get as much memory of the same brand and size that you can afford now... It will cost you less in the long run to do that... and if in 6 months you run into a deal then you can expand... Also if you can't get the top of the line CPU now, look to go one or two speeds lower than the one that is fastest at the time you buy. Usually they are in the price range most folks look to pay and now that were above 2 gigheartz on all of the newer CPUs to get a 2.4 or 2.6 instead of a 2.8 or even a 3.0 really isn't that much of a performance hit... Its to the point now that anything over 2gig is more then adaquate to run the current batch of games or programs out there now, and the next leep will be 64bit so other than to be able to say your running at 3.0 instead of 2.4 or 2.6 is just a bragging thing (which if you can afford it is ok too... :) ).
    The difference of say Photoshop loading on a 2.4 or 2.6ghz rig vs a 3.0ghz is so minute I would challenge you to tell the difference.
    The biggest things that will increase the feel of speed will be FSB (front side bus speed) and the speed and amount of memory you have in your system...

Hope this helps... just my $.02
    Cheers,
    "g"
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by gtghm
    Its to the point now that anything over 2gig is more then adaquate to run the current batch of games or programs out there now, and the next leep will be 64bit so other than to be able to say your running at 3.0 instead of 2.4 or 2.6 is just a bragging thing (which if you can afford it is ok too... :) ).
    The difference of say Photoshop loading on a 2.4 or 2.6ghz rig vs a 3.0ghz is so minute I would challenge you to tell the difference.
    The biggest things that will increase the feel of speed will be FSB (front side bus speed) and the speed and amount of memory you have in your system...

Nicely stated... you might like to join the
    OAALHA movement. :p
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited October 2003
    Thanks for the advice guys. I've pretty much decided on either the Corsair Value 512x2 twinpack:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=N82E16820145440

or to splurge the extra $60ish for the Kingston HyperX 512x2 twinpack:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=Go&description=N82E16820144114

I'm not a rabid overclocker just a little one. I just like to feel like I'm getting more than I paid for. :p Is there a huge difference between the two?
    edited October 2003
    Althought the corsair is rated to operate at a higher speed, the Kingston is rated at a higher cas2... I'd buy the Kingston if the extra money isn't an issue. The kingston with gurantee a decent 220mhz+ overclock at aggressive timings, the corsair would be more of a gamble at those same speeds/timings.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    Althought the corsair is rated to operate at a higher speed, the Kingston is rated at a higher cas2... I'd buy the Kingston if the extra money isn't an issue. The kingston with gurantee a decent 220mhz+ overclock at aggressive timings, the corsair would be more of a gamble at those same speeds/timings.
    Actually they are both the same speed (PC3200) and that particular Corsair is only Cas 2.5 (it's not XMS). But you were absolutely correct that the Kingston would go higher, especially at tighter mem timings.

I would go for the Kingston Hyper-X or spen another$6.00 and go for:
    Corasir XMS3200C2 twin pack (1GB 2 x 512 MB)

I have this memory and have had it up to 227@ Cas 2- 5-2-2 very stable. These boards scream for premium memory and AMD systems do much better with tight mem timings.
    edited October 2003
    Oops, I was sick yesterday and the benedryl clouded me eyes :D
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    Oops, I was sick yesterday and the benedryl clouded me eyes :D

Actually that was my fault. I posted the links then realized I posted the link for the Kingston PC-3000 memory and fixed it. You must have answered me before I edited it. :D