Advice needed bad...

edited November 2003 in Hardware
I have a bit of a dilema. I have enough parts to build a reasonable second rig but have found the motherboard to be faulty. I have a bit of money tucked away but dont want to waste too much as its only a second rig...

I would like to have as many of the following as possible-

- Something that handles reaonably high AMD processor (approx 25 - 2800)
- Easily overclocked
- Handles at least PC2700 RAM
- Has an IDE RAID ability
- Onboard lan/sound
- nForce chipset

Suggestions?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    What price range?
  • edited November 2003
    Found a guy close by selling a Abit nf7 for £40, new in its box and it has a reciept for £60. He bought it thinking his board was dead, turned out to be his chip.

So i got it...

Thanks anyway.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Oh that doesnt have RAID tho.

These are 2 that I forgot to post before I left for school.

Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
    Gigabyte GA-7N400PRO2
  • edited November 2003
    Yea I realise that. I checked the details on it before purchassing. I like Abit boards and the price was right with most of what I wanted... so am happy enough. Will check out the other boards anyway.

Ta.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited November 2003
    That nF7 is a good board, certainly will do what you need. You can install a new IDE Raid controller card and then you will have the raid like you want. Surely you can pick up a raid controller card for not much $$$.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hard to go wrong there! I hope it is a Rev 2.0 board though. You can get a HPT RocketRaid 100 card for reasonable to throw in there since it isn't he one with onboard. By getting a PCI RAID card you won't need to worry about future boards having it and can move your array from system to system.
  • edited November 2003
    Are IDE raid controllers not slower than on board raid controllers?
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited November 2003
    They are both running off the PCI bus so they should be the same. Only SATA is rated faster than PCI raid.
    PCI raid runs at either 100 or 133, SATA runs at 150 speeds.
    edited November 2003
    Exactly the same speed for onboard and add on's. :D
  • edited November 2003
    So want about adding a SATA raid controller in the PCI slot? Is its max speed ATA133?
    edited November 2003
    You can put a SATA controller in the PCI slot. That is what I did and got the RocketRAID 1520 2-Channel Serial ATA RAID Host Controller.

The theoretical speed of a drive on a SATA controller is 150. With 2 good drives you should hit at least 80 in real life for ATA drives in RAID-0 and at least 100 for 2 SATA drives in RAID-0.