-Hynix 1 gig PC3200 DDR Ram
-nVidia GeForce 5950 Ultra 256MB DDR Video card
-SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
-2 Seagate Barracuda 120gb 7200rpm in RAID 0
-Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
-DVD burner
-CD burner
-Coolermaster Wavemaster case

Who's the manufacterer? Alienware? Falcon Northwest? Voodoo? NO! COMPAQ!! The Compaq X09 has these specs!

I guess Compaq must be feelin' the heat of the computer enthusaist who won't put up with proprietary motherboards and PSUs that you can't upgrade. I guess the Dell XPS series doesn't hurt either. Whatever the reason, it's good to see that the big guys are being forced to change to meet our standards instead of us having to settle for theirs.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited November 2003
    heh, sweet. the real question is, how much cheaper is EXACTLY THE SAME THING from newegg. thats one of the main that i wouldn't use non-proprietary parts as a business, is because it makes it that much easier for people to see how much you're ripping them off
  • NYCDrewNYCDrew NYC(duh)
    edited November 2003
    THAT's the thing! Guess how much they want for that set up? $2999.97!! I didn't configue it through Newegg, but NO WAY it's that much!
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited November 2003
    All from newegg
    Pentium 4 3.2Ghz - $393
    Asus P4C800-E - $182
    Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB x2 - $234
    Leadtek GeForce FX 5950Ultra - $420
    SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - $162
    2x Seagate Barracuda 120gb - $190
    Antec 480W True Power - $83
    DVD Burner ~ $200
    CD Burner ~ $60
    Wavemaster Case - $148
    Speakers, keyboard, mouse ~ $400
    Throw in about 50 bucks for shipping, carry the one, and you have just under $2500. 500 bucks left over, just enough to buy a bad-ass monitor. And I think I overshoot the speakers/keyboard/mouse part, but I figured a system like this would probably come with $250 speakers.

I see this has nothing but a huge failure for Compaq. They are not going to beable to convince the everyday user that it is worth spending the money on such high quality parts when they can get a similar system from other OEMs using typical OEM products (50 dollar motherboards and what not) for hundreds of dollars less. And they certainly are not going to get the enthusiest crowd, as I have just proven, you can build the same computer for half a grand less, and not have the gay Compaq name plastered on your computer.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited November 2003
  • OrgazmoOrgazmo CT
    edited November 2003
    Blah, Compaq will always suck no matter what anyway, just build your own from NewEgg. My current set up cost $2500.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    you can't remove the compaq name unless you know how to hack a bios, but even then, no one who is into bios hacking is going to bother hacking a compcrap bios.
  • edited November 2003
    looks like Dell is doin the same thing:

3.2 Pentium 4
    Intel 875P chipset motherboard,
    SATA RAID with a pair of 250GB hard drives,
    a Radeon 9800 XT, Creative's top Audigy 2 sound card,
    8X DVD+RW and
    48X CD-RW,
    Logitech's top Z-680 5.1 speaker system, a
    nd a 16ms 20" flat-panel display designed for gaming.

http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1920
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited November 2003
    HEHE, all my comps have parts from new egg. Going anywhere else is just stupid.
  • AcidicDreamsAcidicDreams Oregon
    edited November 2003
    umm in response to karatekid... yes those computers will sell... I work at a fry's in computer sales and it will sell to people who "want the best" and don't know sh*t about computers... they'll beleive anything a salesman says... they are few and far between but they'll sell them.. plus you need to remeber the everyday computer users DOES like HP, and sony, and compaq etc... they'd think a home built computer would be make with hokie parts (I've actually been denied by a company to build them a computer because their "computer expert" thought I'd be using crappy parts and dell only used the best... HAHAHAHA right.. fat ass idiot) anyways... just my 2 cents
  • antthisantthis Bowling Green ky
    edited December 2003
    shipping more then 50 buck try 100 or you get free and slow shipping