Qnx Os

Ed-LiottaEd-Liotta Middletown, NY
edited January 2004 in Science & Tech
I have a Quantum Prodrive ELS 120 MB hard drive. It uses a IDE 40 pin ribbon cable. The PC is an old (1993) AST Bravo LC 4/33 model # 500944-007. It is only a 486 with 4 MB of RAM. The OS is a QNX system. The PC at boot is not recognizing the hard drive.
When set at Auto detect or set as user defined. The hard drive spins when the power is turned on. The old power supply was bad and I replaced it.
The PC is on a 2 PC network. If I have to replace the hard drive I am in trouble because I don't have a back up of the OS. I know it is QNX but not what one it is. I do not know how many partitions or if there are any other OS's on the drive. I do have a copy of the program that the QNX was running but that is it. also do the 2 PC's have to be set up the same other the the program.
The PC I am working on is #2 the slave.

shrtyblu

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2004
    First check to see that you didn't knock an ide cable loose when you were switching the power supply as that would definitely cause your problem.

Second I'll assume your power supply died because of some sort of surge. Bad news is those can fry hard drives as well. But there is hope. You could try putting the harddrive in a different machine and seeing if it will detect it.
  • Ed-LiottaEd-Liotta Middletown, NY
    edited January 2004
    Thank you for your reply!
    I have tried using the hard drive on to other PC's but the PC's did not see the drive.
    I ran a diskscan and it shown no bad sectors.
    When I tried it on a different PC It had this on the screen:
    Novell Netware Ready firware V1.00 (940809)
    (c) copyright 1991-1994 Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Sis 900/7016 PCI adapters DOS ODI driver v1.10 (001228)
    (c) copyright 1998 Sis Corp, All rights reserved.
    Insert bootable disk.
    When the hard drive was in the old PC it read:
    can not locate hard disk. when I changed the setting in the BOIS
    to user defind and set the sectors etc. it read: hard disk adapter can not be accessed.
    thank you again
    shrtyblu
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited January 2004
    Sounds like a dead drive to me, non-detection by multi PCs pretty much determined that... :(
    edited January 2004
    Thank you for your reply !

I think the hard disk adapter on the drive is bad.
    Is there any way around that?
    All I want to do is retrieve all the data, OS and all.
    I do not have the original OS and QNX programs.
    Anyone have any tricks I can try !
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2004
    So on 1 pc it actually detected the drive and tried to boot novell? When it got that far then asked for a boot disk did you try putting in a boot disk to see if anything could be seen?

Also why novell? I don't know a lot about QNX as it's been years since I have played with it at all but I don't remember it having anything to do with Novell.

As for some tricks uhmmmm if you've got one machine that's seeing anything on it at all you could use ghost and try and get some data off of it as ghost will work with novell even though it claims it doesn't.

As for a bad hard drive if it's toast (and it sounds like it may be) you are probably SOL. I once....and I do mean once had luck doing this don't laugh it worked.

I put a bag of frozen peas on the drive while it was running which kept it cool enough for me to get the data off of it.

1 other trick I tried that worked once is I had 2 exact same drives 1 good 1 bad I pulled the circut board out of the good one and put it in the bad one and it actually read the drive which is normally rather remarkable since it shouldn't really work. But I looked out.
    edited January 2004
    Thank you for your reply kryyst.
    I tried cold (ice) trick but it did not work.
    Next I will try the circut board change. I think that will work.
    The hard part is finding one. The hard drive is back from 1993.
    I might know some one that has one.

shrtyblu
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    That computer didn't detect the drive, what that showed was just the Boot-ROM of a network card, so I think you are right in that the drives onboard controller is dead.
    edited January 2004
    Thank you Enverex for your reply,
    The PC is now up and running. I replaced the hard drive. I found
    the right OS programing and loaded it in. I replaced the power supply, that is what did the hard drive in.

I want to thank all that replyed to me.
    shrtyble