crossover on logitech z560

edited January 2004 in Hardware
anyone know if the frequencies sent to the satellites have the lows removed? i was thinking of hooking up some full range speakers i have laying around to the front channels, but realized it would be useless if there are any crossovers in the circuit.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited December 2003
    Yes they would, by design, to eliminate any risk of overdriving them. Do I know this with 100% certainty? No. But I do know a thing or two, and from the stuff I've read on these speakers (because I own the same set) Logitech took the time to ensure they would squeeze every watt out of this system ... hence, cutting off the lower frequencies allows them to get more RMS from the satellites with less flutter/distortion. You also do not hear any of the higher frequencies being reproduced by the sub, further evidence...

Funny thing is -- no one's been able to figure out the EXACT crossover frequency (I guess you could record some tunes with a condensor mic, then analyse it with soundforge to see where the drop is). Most suspect it's around 140hz, if that helps you in your new speaker selection et all.
  • edited December 2003
    The satelite speakers porbably, contain the cross over inside them. Open one of them and have a look and see if the speakers contain a curcuit board with some chips/etc on them which are not required to run a speaker. Basically, you just run two wires to the speaker. Have a look, if the crossover is in the speakers, then hook those towers up. Also, why do people ask such questions? YOU HAVE THE FULL RANGE TOWERS, haha go try them out! See for your self, its not going to blow anything up ya know? :D
  • edited December 2003
    yeah, i actually had the monitors hooked up, but it was tough to tell if it was just a poor amp or what. they are studio monitors, and they made it sound too good in the front speakers (glaring against the back stock speakers), so it just accentuated that computer speakers still have a bit to go to catch up to high end rigs. now im back to the originals
  • edited December 2003
    uhh..... what?
    edited December 2003
    Think he's saying... wait, what are you saying? :p
  • edited January 2004
    errr....i dont make sense if i type fast

i put studio monitors on instead of the stock front two speakers, and ..... nevermind, i cant explain it

forget i ever said anything :-)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    What he said was pretty obvious.

He hooked up some studio monitors to replace the front satallites, but it wasn't clear if base was still being sent to them. He would have kept it that way anyway, but due to the different type of speakers being used (from front to back) what was being played didn't sound the same (comparing the front and back speakers) due to them being different.

I have a test tone generator you could use to test with if you want it. Just e-mail me (ben@atomnet.co.uk).
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Enverex
    I have a test tone generator you could use to test with if you want it. Just e-mail me (ben@atomnet.co.uk).

Good idea.

Thanks for clarifying what even he could not :p
  • edited January 2004
    thanks, i think ill try it, see whats up