How does search engines like Google make money?

RobbieGeeRobbieGee Norway
edited January 2004 in Science & Tech
Warning: Stupid question follows! :p

I just thought of something: How the heck does Google make money? They say Google is worth so an so many millions, but where's their income? I didn't notice any ads, and it has got to come from somewhere, so what did I miss?

Comments

• edited November 2003
    Sponsored Links
  • RobbieGeeRobbieGee Norway
    edited November 2003
    D'oh. Do people actually follow them? hehe =D
  • edited December 2003
    yes, they can buy a high placement on the results of what you type (if its connected).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    If people didn't click on the sponsored links, do you think google would be a multi-million dollar company? ;)
  • Red-SquirrelRed-Squirrel Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2003
    They also make their money on adsense, I'm sure a percentage of what the advertisers pay goes to them.

Google adsense is actually a very genious idea, because it's not only displayed on google, but all over the internet because people like me put it on their websites, and make money out of it too. So everyone gets a peice of the pie. Sponsored links like mentioned are also a big factor. I think it's like $5,000 per keyword or something crazy like that.
  • edited December 2003
    Like many say, people make money from Googles advertising. The sponserd links on the right, you can setup a account and then pick how much u want to be charged for each click and so on. The links at the top are like major links, Google wants you to spend at least $10,000 in three months in advertising if you want the top oens. And guess how many compaines would advertise on Google, then tell me how they are not a multi-million dollar company when they are the most popular search engine too! :D Now why didn't I think of a GOogle??? :mad:
  • edited December 2003
    Google also sells their search engine technology for enterprise use, like on a corporate intranet.
  • edited December 2003
    ooo yea, ;)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Coaster
    yes, they can buy a high placement on the results of what you type (if its connected).

Actually Google doesn't work on that for it's results at all.

The results are listed in order of 2 things, firstly, the amount of sites linking to that actual site, and secondly, the typical keywords found in the page. The metatags aren't even used anymore.

This is one of the reasons Google is used more than the other search engines, they return actual results rather than selling out.

What is paid for are the Highlighted text that may appear at the top of the page, and the boxes to the right of the page.