? about coping 20 gig hdd to new 80gig hdd

edited July 2004 in Hardware
my pc has a 20 gig hdd on it im running windows xp I installed a 80 gig hdd as slave drive. the 20 gig hdd is the master drive which has everything on it. now my qustion is i want to make the 80 gig hdd the master drive with everthing going on it. where do i need to start at??

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    You basically want to boot off your 80GB, right? I'd say look into Norton Ghost. At least, that's my favorite utility for creating an image of a drive. Others may feel otherwise. Wait for a couple more opinions. :)
  • edited July 2004
    Trekky8472 wrote:
    You basically want to boot off your 80GB, right? I'd say look into Norton Ghost. At least, that's my favorite utility for creating an image of a drive. Others may feel otherwise. Wait for a couple more opinions. :)

ok now if i ghost the 20 gig hdd to the 80 gig hdd i just need to make the 80 gig hdd the master drive and the 20 gig hdd the slave right...........
    edited July 2004
    I'm thinking yes, but the only problem you may come across is your 20 gb either booting, or continuing to show up as the C drive, forcing your ghosted image to become some other drive letter. Something like that bothers me to no end, so I always make sure my Windows XP partition is C. Unfortunately it's quite dead in here, so no one else is posting.
  • edited July 2004
    Trekky8472 wrote:
    I'm thinking yes, but the only problem you may come across is your 20 gb either booting, or continuing to show up as the C drive, forcing your ghosted image to become some other drive letter. Something like that bothers me to no end, so I always make sure my Windows XP partition is C. Unfortunately it's quite dead in here, so no one else is posting.

drive letter would not matter to me(it can be changed right?) i would just have to make the 80 gig hdd the first to bootable drive in the bose u think?
    edited July 2004
    Yeah. Exactly. Generally the drive letter on the system partition is locked. You can change it in the registry, but that usually leads to the partition not booting. All I can say is give it try. Just don't format the 20GB until you're sure your setup correctly on the 80GB. That way you can always drop the 20 back in if necessary.
  • edited July 2004
    Trekky8472 wrote:
    Yeah. Exactly. Generally the drive letter on the system partition is locked. You can change it in the registry, but that usually leads to the partition not booting. All I can say is give it try. Just don't format the 20GB until you're sure your setup correctly on the 80GB. That way you can always drop the 20 back in if necessary.

be nice if i had a copy of nortons ghost now :-)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    if you bought a maxtor drive it has a disk copy utility - you'd hook up your new drive as the master, the old one as the slave, and boot off the diskette they provided. run disk copy and viola, you're back in business
  • edited July 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    if you bought a maxtor drive it has a disk copy utility - you'd hook up your new drive as the master, the old one as the slave, and boot off the diskette they provided. run disk copy and viola, you're back in business[/QUOT

its a WD
    edited July 2004
    Check your PMs, Aokss.