Personal Opinions on 6800's ?

edited August 2004 in Hardware
Was wondering if anyone had any personal tested experience or opinions they could share about the new line of NVIDIA cards, the 6800's.

I don't want to get into an ATI > NVIDIA or NVIDIA > ATI battle as I simply don't care which is "better". I have always used NVIDIA cards and have never had problems, thus I personally am interested in getting the new NVIDIA card and not the new ATI line of cards.

I've been looking around and it appears there are 3 versions of the 6800. The 6800 128 meg regular, The 6800 Ultra (which appears to be 128 megs as well), and the 6800 GT which seems to be the only one with 256 megs from what I've seen.

Obviously I would like to get the 256 version as I was reading an article recently about Doom 3 in PCGamer and it appears having a 256 meg card will allow you to run all textures at high rez which is obviously a nice touch.

I guess my question is, does anyone here have a 6800 yet? ANd if so how is the performance on it? I am scared to shell out $400+ on a video card thinking it will show me the world, only to get it and have it not improve my FPS's by much. FYI I'm currently running a Geforce 4Ti4200 which has proven a great card over the years. Bought it for $140 I think a few years ago and it's still able to play FarCry with quite high settings and run smooth.

Here is the card inparticular I am currently considering:

http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCPN-G6800GAPB

What I found strange is that I can only find ONE card on newegg of the 6800 with 256 megs. I always prefer using Newegg to other sites. But I find it strange they only have 1 card to choose from. Looking on pricewatch I've found tons, which is where I've found the above link.

Any insights would be much appreciated. I'm planning on making the purchase within the next few weeks.

Comments

• ZecterZecter The coldest state in the Continental USofA
    edited August 2004
    Ask Versello, he has some form of the 6800 card.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    im going for the 6800GT, nvidia's can can take high AGP, they dont freak out like ATI's do.

you can softmod a 6800 into a 6800GT ;)
  • verselloversello New
    edited August 2004
    Zecter wrote:
    Ask Versello, he has some form of the 6800 card.

I have a 5900 :(
    edited August 2004
    oh sorry, I meant GnomeWizardd
  • edited August 2004
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. I actually have decided on one. The BFG 6800 GT OC 256 meg. It seems to be overclocked already and running at 370 mhz as opposed to the 350 the other cards I"ve seen run at.

It has gotten good reviews from the few sites I've checked. So it definately looks like the best bang for the buck. It's currently going for only $399.00 at BEST BUY believe it or not, which is an awesome price. Unfortunately it is out of stock, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else where it is in stock either.

I guess I will just wait until it gets back in stock at either best buy or another retailer online. It definately seems like the best bang for the buck though.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2004
    keep in mind the BFG card has trouble with doom 3. doom is killer on graphics cards, and any amount of oc will cause artifacting in game. anandtech, specifically, had trouble with the bfg card. just something to keep in mind, i'd pick the bfg as well if i had the money. unfortunately, as you noted, its not in stock anywhere, and if i had to guess it wont be for awhile. that card is backordered to high heaven
  • Dream-WeaverDream-Weaver Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited August 2004
    im also interested in getting a 6800 but the shops here don't carry them :(
    i hate living in the middle of no-where. how long has the 6800 been out? (not exactly, but like few weeks, 1-2 months, half a year kind of thing)
    edited August 2004
    just curious, where do you live Dream Weaver?
  • Dream-WeaverDream-Weaver Nova Scotia, Canada
    edited August 2004
    :) halifax, nova scotia (canada)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited August 2004
    I find the best deals can only be ordered from online Dream
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    sorry been on vacation when this thread started. I have the leadtek version of a 6800. BEST card ive ever bought I love this thing. not to mention when the new version of riva tuner comes out I can softmod it to a full 16 pipelines!

I like the new line of nVidia cards over the ati cards since they come with pixel shader 3.0 unlike ati and its just a bad ass card!
    edited August 2004
    its a great card, but that should be given, the thing that annoys me is when people say, "best card I've ever bought" well... unless you have come from the future of course you are going to always get a better card, maybe how you could rephase it is compare how much more/less you like upgrading to this than last time you upgraded.

Now I'm just rambling, so you can ignore this post.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It is the best card I have ever bought. stop trying to get into the future crap u make yourself look gay ( oh thats right you came out of the closet in the other thread ) NM continue on!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Pwned again.
    edited August 2004
    ok, sure