Award BIOS and Hyperthreading

izzugotomizzugotom Member
edited September 2004 in Hardware
I got Gigabyte GA-8IEXP Rev 1.2 MB. I upgraded the BIOS to F9 to be able to take Hypertreading. I then upgraded the P4 2Ghz to P4 3.06Ghz 533/512 with HT..It identify correctly.
The problem: With HT disabled in BIOS I have ZERO problems. If I enable HT, XP-PRO sees the 2x P4[DeviceManager], and it appears to be faster, but locks from time to time. Eventviewer complains about DISK[WD 40Gb] and writing to page file...I noticed the disk get full time occupied, thats why it cant write to it...It gets busy with hell knows what....I then go again to BIOS, load failsafe defaults[As originally], and it solved this problem, but I still get the disk errors and it locks from time to time, behaving untrustworthy.
I tried a lot of things with msconfig, but cannot rid it from this problem.

after I thoughtXP-PRO was shot, I disabled HT again, and all back to normal...No problems what so ever.
Question: Must I re-Install XP in a case like this...I'll rather try a few suggestions 1st. I have another cloned Maxtor 40Gb disk, but don't think it's the disk, unless WD disk it to "Slow" for this ?? :drinkup:

Any similar experiences and advice will be appreciated.. :bringit:

Comments

• izzugotomizzugotom Member
    edited September 2004
    Note: I also noted that the P4 3Ghz run 6c hotter with HT disabled at idle than with it enabled...Why would this be ?

I have excellent aircooling, and the 2ghz was normally 4-5c above room temp. This one behave the same with HT enabled ?
  • edited September 2004
    what core is in the processor? also, if you can manage to find a different BIOS, like phoenix, or genie, try that.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    switching bios' seems extreme. i would reformat now that windows detects both (virtual) cpus
    edited September 2004
    waking into my room this afternoon a weird thought striked me...Why not uninstalling the processor...I went straight to Devicemanager, and uninstalled the processor, reboot...enable HT in BIOS, reboot up.....Geuss what..The main problem putting the disk drive in a loop was gone.
    :bowdown:
    With HT enabled, the temp is down 7c, it paases SIsandra's processor burn, it does not lock in Jasc paintshop pro, it does not lock on logging off rebooting, it passes benchmark from old gunlock, but........
    :fu:
    I do have the following lock-problem left..Everything points to this 40GB harddrive...If NAV runs, it locks somewhere, if I defrag, it locks, with error messages about Disk/ide pagefile witing timeout.
    :loco:
    I have a new cloned disk which I will try weekend to see. This is a Maxtor.
    I hope it's the disk.

I think the disk messed up the Processor drivers installation to begin with. :jelly:
    edited September 2004
    Note:At the moment I think this WD HDD is not capable of handling certain fast actions by both processors....I hope so !!

If not, I'll wait for my SP2 CD, buy new larger disk and re-install XP-PRO.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    200gb on outpost for $99.99 without rebates
    edited September 2004
    Problem finally solved:I learned something-I nearly reformatted.
    >Uninstalling/reinstalling the processor from devicemanager solved the main lockup problem. Updating the 845E chipset driver solved the rest of problems related to intensive disk operations. I now can defrag & run NAV/Spybot/Adaware similtaniously with total stability....I cannot get it to crash now, game included.
    edited September 2004
    So to sum up: The instability of the IDE/Disk with HT enabled, lead to improper loading of 2x processor drivers, which lead to the lockups, so I should have updated the chipset 1st, and not only the BIOS.

I just wonder how must similar instability problems can be solved by just uninstalling the Processor ?
  • edited September 2004
    hmm.. had me thinking it was a problem with the disk drive itself, for a minute.
    edited September 2004
    I am glad to report that everything is 100% now. It was not the Disk. No error messages no nothing, it just works fast and great, and running 7c cooler with HT enabled.
    >>>>I should have updated the chipset 1st, but seeing it was stable, it did not cross my mind, so I only updated the BIOS.

>By uninstalling the processor, I solved lockups related to the P4 drivers, which also put the disk into a loop.

>By updating the chipset, I solved lockups related to the disk in heavy usage.

>By uninstalling the Disk drivers, I solved minor error messages on bootup refering to a pagefile.

Everything solved now, but I presume I learned something valuable from this, and that is:It is no big deal uninstalling components with MS drivers and reboot, for disk you have to reboot twice[Go back to Device manager after 1st reboot, and it will tell you to reboot again, otherwise not].