minimize vibration

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I am doing a project on a friends car. I am going to cut and mod the dashboard of his car and install a PC inside. My problem is how to reduce as much as i can the vibrations of the cars that are going to be transferred on the Hard disk. The car is a toyota Yaris (Vitz) and the half dashboard infront of the sidedriver will be cutted and a PC will get in fitted in a plexiglass.
Any help will be helpful

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited December 2005
  • verselloversello New
    edited December 2005
    I would use a laptop hard-drive with dampening... like rubber bands, foam, etc.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited December 2005
    :cool: dang. i'd sure like to see it when you're done - and maybe even a step-by-step guide!

LIN
  • edited December 2005
    one thing is for sure. it is damn more difficult to do it rather than thinking of it. The thing i wanted with the HD is because he now has a portable inside the car and HD got ruined because of the vibrations. I don`t want to open the pc every once a month and change HD and format.
    Anyway thats going to be the last thing. the transformer already got into the car (for outpouting 240v). The wires are ready to transmitt to the cars radio. I have to start cutting now . Bad thing is that i din`t have cut and paste like on the pc so i better do it right
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    LOL measure twice, cut once! When drilling holes, use a very small bit first and then use what ever size you need you'll be more acurate. Oh yah I almost forgot, PICS!!!!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    Why not put in a laptop they are far more resistant to bumps and shocks. IBM's (and I'm sure others) also have bump detection on their laptop's that stop the harddrive if it's suddenly jarred.

Or....put in a mac mini you would hardly have to mod anything.
  • edited January 2006
    the rubber bands as someone said up there will work. But when one snaps, you will have to re do it.... The snapping may cause some vibration to the HD too, so be aware of that too:thumbsup:

n2k
  • verselloversello New
    edited January 2006
    Better yet, you could always use a compact flash drive... no mechanical parts to fail right there :thumbsup:

Then install some stripped down linux OS.
  • edited January 2006
    The thing is kryyst, that we want the inside of the pc to be shown. and versello my friend doesn`t even know to work well on XP how is he going to be able to work on linux.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    airoh69 wrote:
    The thing is kryyst, that we want the inside of the pc to be shown. and versello my friend doesn`t even know to work well on XP how is he going to be able to work on linux.

Insert smartass answer

Take a picture of a PC - Glue it to the Dashboard.
  • edited January 2006
    Hey kryyst do you always get such smart ideas???? Wich paper should i use and what quality ???