Delay opening Word, Excel and Access documents via double clicking icon

JLamyJLamy UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
I am experiencing a strange problem with Microsoft Office 2003. Whenever I double left click on either a Word/Excel/Access document there's a delay of about 5 seconds before the relative program starts to load, then the document opening. If the related program is already running then it takes about 5 seconds before the document opens. During the delay there seems to be no system activity (No HD light, nor noticeable system slow down, CPU usage hovers the same as when system is idle). Anyone know why and how to fix? I have tried turning off my anti virus program (NOD32 v2.50.44, 32 bit) but problem remains.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    Is this something that's just started happening as that delay seems pretty normal from my experiences using office on different machines. Always seems to be a delay from the time you click the icon before office starts to respond.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    ive had this happen to a client of mine.
    it had something to do with the acrobat plugin. do you have any adobe acrobat apps installed?
  • JLamyJLamy UK
    edited January 2006
    Yeah its happening with this fresh install of XP. I only have Adobe Acrobat Reader v7.05 installed. But anyway I have found the cause. It turns out to be Microsoft AntiSpyware's Real Time protection. If I disable real time then office documents open up in the time they should.