slow connection help

edited June 2007 in Science & Tech
I have a netcomm Nb6W wireless adsl router and i am experiencing speeds of 1-5kb/s at times, and usually 10kb/s. My normal speed is around 60kb/s. I have 2 other computers sharing the wireless.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    What are your ping times between the computers and when are you experiencing this slowness? Is it all the time or just when you are say downloading Torrents?
  • edited June 2007
    i experience slow speeds randomly.... like downloading files of sharedzilla i get speeds of 1-5kb/s when no1 else is using the other computers. Also i port forward on my router correctly at port 10000 and utorrent still says its not forwarded correctly. and how do i check my ping time?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    First, go to start, run. Type CMD. Then, in the window that pops up, type ping www.google.com. I hit it at roughly 45ms. You should hit it at about 70-ish since you've probably got 768k DSL.

If you're using a mac...I won't go there. I really don't feel like getting banned.

Also, I'm noticing you're using port forwarding. Does your router support DMZ? If so, put the computer you use the most on static IP, and then put it's Ip in the DMZ slot, that way it'll always have it. If you've forwarded ports before and they work for other things, like I have to open extra ports for steam, make sure your ISP doesn't block them. Alot of companies are starting to be total tools and block ports. As much as I hate TimeWarner, they don't block any ports and I believe they support Net Neutrality.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited June 2007
    laptopbox,

If your speeds are fluctuating like that when no one else is on, and you aren't in the middle of some download or limewire kinda session, I would call your DSL provider and have them do a line test. Those symptoms are pretty typical of bad line quality between you and the CO. They can usually test from there.

Also, you have filters on the phones that share this line....and not on the DSL itself...right?
  • edited June 2007
    Yes we have filters and the round trip time was a dismal average of 246ms....actually that should be correct as i have the slower 256k internet (planning to upgrade in our new house)
    and i have put my Ip adress im DMZ

=)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Sounds like a bad line. Call your ISP and tell them to do a line test and such. And read the documentation for your router to figure out if you have DMZ or not.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    You can't rely on your download speeds from any P2P or Torrent sites. There are many reasons why they would be horrible and one major one is that your ISP may be throttling back speeds on file sharing.