Industry group forms around USB 3.0 spec

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
Announced today at the Intel Developer Forum, a consortium consisting of HP, Microsoft Corporation, NEC Corporation, NXP Semiconductors and Texas Instruments Incorporated is gathering to hammer out the USB 3.0 specification.

Of course the press releases contain the usual blather about higher speeds (10x fastar!) lower power (batteries ++!), and intent (sync-and-go! blahdee blah blah!) but what intrigued me was this bit:

<blockquote>"USB 3.0 ports and cabling will be designed to enable backward compatibility as well as future-proofing for optical capabilities."</blockquote>

Say whoo-wha?

I understand the USB 3 plugs on your Dell Laptop 2010 will still work with your grandma's 128mb Jump Drive, but I'm curious (strictly from a nerd standpoint) on how they plan to include optical support in a little plug with four copper wires.

I just can't wait to see it.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    bout time i say
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    SPDIF cables are smaller than USB and are optical, I'm sure you could run tiny fiber optic channels.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Show me the light baby!!
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    Acually, with 1080p and emerging standards, they will need this and a commensurate update in PC technology overall- HDs, busses, memory, etc.

With the video job I've got going on- they could spring it on me right about ... now.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Hmm... adding fiber optic to the spec just for future-proofing? Hello $20 cables!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Still cheaper than HDMI! *be de dum tish*
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited September 2007
    Yeah.... If you're foolish enough to buy the most expensive ones out there.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    jhenry wrote:
    Yeah.... If you're foolish enough to buy the most expensive ones out there.

QFTT