How to have 2 OS's on 1 computer?

edited October 2007 in Science & Tech
I have a laptop with original windows vista on it, but was irritated by almost everything on vista. I want to install windows xp on it, but without uninstalling vista, as we paid for the original, and in case i need it in the future. I know there's a way to install 2 OS's, and being able to choose which system to use on startup, but i don't know how. Any help?

I wouldn't want to use microsoft virtual pc, cos it means i will have to run on vista anyway.

Help will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2007
  • edited September 2007
    Hi thanks for the link. But I go my vista pre-installed when i got the laptop, and I wasn't given the vista cd. Nowadays retailers in singapore don't give the OS cds anymore. The method from the link needed cds from both vista and xp. I got the xp cd, but not he vista. So without the vista cd, how should i do it?

thanks.
  • edited September 2007
    could vista handle a resize of it's primary partition? if you could resize (not repartition) you might have a chunk of empty disk to install xp on. not something i'd wanna try though ;) how bout dual boot linux with xp?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Installing XP after Vista is impossible without a Vista CD.
  • edited September 2007
    ok i think i will have to email acer then. thanks for all the help here!
  • edited September 2007
    you should try ubuntu/kubuntu... as a 3rd OS
  • edited September 2007
    install xp as normal, when it prompt the location, try to use custom and define your location, default c:\windows if you do so then it will over write the exist windows which is Vista, otherwise iut will automatically create the dual boot for you

good lucks
  • broady81broady81 Member
    edited September 2007
    If you want a quick solution, why not download a Vista Bootable Install Disk (Like the DVD they will send you) ? I wouldnt think there's anything illegal in that, as you do have a valid license key to use with it - It could work out a lot faster :bigggrin:
  • edited September 2007
    Ok i'll try downloading. Cos I emailed acer and they tell me that they cant provide a vista cd, and go find a solution to create dual boot without vista cd myself. I urge people not yo buy from acer.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    500ncb wrote:
    Ok i'll try downloading. Cos I emailed acer and they tell me that they cant provide a vista cd, and go find a solution to create dual boot without vista cd myself. I urge people not yo buy from acer.

No-one seems to provide OS CDs any more. I think it's ridiculous and quite outrageous really because you're not -really- getting that OS.
  • jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
    edited October 2007
    Enverex wrote:
    No-one seems to provide OS CDs any more. I think it's ridiculous and quite outrageous really because you're not -really- getting that OS.

I 2nd that..i find its very ridiculous & inconvienent the least company can do after having the customer pay hundreds or even thousands is send an ACTUAL os cd & not just a restore cd :rolleyes2
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Most often if you order online you can check that you want the disc. if you buy off the shelf at most stores they usually give you a drive backup or restore disc, not a full windows disc :(

I know my ASUS laptop came with the Windows disc and a driver disc.
  • jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
    edited October 2007
    Most often if you order online you can check that you want the disc. if you buy off the shelf at most stores they usually give you a drive backup or restore disc, not a full windows disc :(

I know my ASUS laptop came with the Windows disc and a driver disc.

xp or vista sledge?
  • edited October 2007
    Hey thanks for the link , I am curious about that also .