Vista Ultimate Explorer Issue

edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
i'm having this problem with Windows Explorer where things load real slow... when i put a DVD into my drive it takes forever to load up... and sometimes programs get 20 minutes or more delay... like when i click on a program on start menu it won't start untill after a long time

this happens to only some programs...

i have run AV for a thorough checkup, i ran CCleaner to clean all temp stuff execpt the OS stuff and it seems to enhance performance... though some applications still takes ages to load and the Explorer also, especially DVD Drive... it won't play DVD for some reason

i don't know where to go from here for a fix...

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    This might be a silly question: When was the last time you Defraged?
  • edited May 2008
    CB Droege wrote:
    This might be a silly question: When was the last time you Defraged?

never... i'll try that and see... i did a ccleaner which sort of made it run faster for abit...

i notice that Explorer loads slow but gets really slow if there is a CD on the DVD drive :( realy weird...

i can't watch any dvd as i think i'd have to wait for at least 30mins before the DVD gets recognized... then right clicking it takes forever with the busy icon
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited May 2008
    Have you eliminated the physical dvd/cd drive(s) as a possible cause? Sluggishness accessing data and failing to read media are also symptoms of hardware failure (or failing). A failing drive can also slow down the entire windows OS because explorer is in constant communication with the drives and if one takes a while to respond then it tends to slow other explorer related processes down. Same for poor network connectivity, or incorrect networking settings.

I also recommend getting windows as fully patched as you can.
  • edited May 2008
    Most basic of questions.

What are your hardware specs?

Has this always happened or is it recent?