Microsoft Word has Stopped Working

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
I'm on a new laptop with Vista Home Premium. I just installed Office 2003 on the machine, and cannot get Word to stay running. It opens just fine, but only seconds after launching the program, an error will appear that "Word has Stopped Working" and must close immediately.

I haven't noticed this problem in anything other than Word. I just did Windows Update and it installed Office 2003 SP3 and others. Any ideas?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2008
    Does work start in safe mode (Words safe mode not windows) ?.

Windows Key + R> winword /a

Also make sure you have office fully up to date with all the latest service packs and fixes.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited May 2008
    I believe I am up to date on everything. I just ran Windows Update and installed everything.

It appears to work just fine in Safe Mode. Awesome - so what does that mean?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Try renaming your normal.dot and running Word.
    edited May 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Try renaming your normal.dot and running Word.
    I dont understand what you're saying.. :confused:
    edited May 2008
    Normal.dot is located in %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\

(Just type %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\ into run)
    Theres a hidden file called normal.dot.

From the issue you have described renaming/deleting it might not help. (Its the blank document that loads when you first open word).

edit: I think its probably a plugin for word causing the problem, I have no idea how to troubleshoot this more. Im sure someone other then me has some experience with office.
    edited May 2008
    Well it's closing when I open a blank doc AND when I open an existing doc.

I just tried to run it in Safe Mode a few more times, and it continues to close... :mad:
    edited May 2008
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling office. (Im out of idea's here)

edit: If its impotent to have it working soon you could always install openoffice. Open office is a free open source alternative to microsoft office.
    edited May 2008
    I deleted the Normal template.. made no difference.

No, I haven't reinstalled. I might try that. Is it odd that I'm not having a problem with Excel, PowerPoint, or Publisher? Those are running just fine.
    edited May 2008
    sfleuriet wrote:
    I deleted the Normal template.. made no difference.

No, I haven't reinstalled. I might try that. Is it odd that I'm not having a problem with Excel, PowerPoint, or Publisher? Those are running just fine.

Well you could rename the application data folder for word but I dont think its going to fix the problem. (Thats the only thing I can think of other then reinstalling)

edit: %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\word it the location for words application data.
    edited May 2008
    Is there anything that might be helpful written to the Event Logs?
    edited May 2008
    I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this too soon, but it MIGHT be fixed... I searched around on Google and found this helpful page. I read the Section "Printer Problems" and realized I only have two printers installed - One network printer, and Microsoft Office Document Image Writer. I merely set the Image Writer as my Default Printer, and Word has not yet closed on me.

There is definitely something wrong with that printer and/or the drivers. I was trying to look at the printer properties, and Windows Explorer crashed. I'm going to delete it and properly install the printer on this computer.
    edited May 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Is there anything that might be helpful written to the Event Logs?
    It's worth a shot - where are they located?
    edited May 2008
    sfleuriet wrote:
    It's worth a shot - where are they located?

Right Click on my computer>manage>event log
    edited May 2008
    Didnt find anything helpful in there, but I think the printer thing has fixed the problem. Thanks for the help
    edited May 2008
    Ah, yeah. Didn't think about that one, but it uses the printer driver to load certain formatting for the page. You probably found it. :)
  • edited May 2008
    your installation disk may be currupted at ms-word section, try to get another installation disc