windows\system32\config\system --- HELP!!!

edited June 2008 in Hardware
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
I need help... My laptop has shutdown but now is giving me the msg missing file or corrupt\windows\system32\config\system

I do not have an original setup cd-rom, I bought the laptop from a friend. WHAT DO I DO?????

Comments

• JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    See if your friend still has the CD.
    Borrow the XP-cd from someone.
    Or hook up your HD with someone elses computer, running the same version of XP as you, and transfer the file from there.
  • edited June 2008
    how do i hook up to my desktop?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Get yourself something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145752

When you're done with it, you can buy yourself a new HD to go with it, and voilà, you have a nice backup device.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2008
    CRYSTAL wrote:
    <HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I need help... My laptop has shutdown but now is giving me the msg missing file or corrupt\windows\system32\config\system

I do not have an original setup cd-rom, I bought the laptop from a friend. WHAT DO I DO?????

What version of windows is this? There are bootable CDs you can download, burn, and use to boot into the computer when receiving these types of messages (these discs assume your boot.ini is corrupt or misconfigured).