BSOD 0x00000116 while gaming

ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
edited January 2009 in Hardware
It was about 2 months ago when I played Left 4 Dead's demo that I first experienced a BSOD. (Maybe not my first ever, but the first time of these recent ones). It happened very soon after starting the game, and happened every time I played that game after it too. I bought the full game later, but the problem was still there. I finally solved it by turning down the graphical options, only keeping my native resolution of 1680x1050.

Then while playing GTA IV, I also received one or two of them, but not more, I guess Rockstar screwed up the PC port enough so my comp had enough to deal with the lag that it couldn't BSOD. (Or something :p)

But today, after installing Call of Duty 5, I once again received the same BSOD (0x00000116) while playing with full options. This time though even putting down the settings didn't help me in any other way than play the first level a little further. I have a resolution of 1680x1050, but everything else turned down. And it still BSOD's.

The BSOD's also happen with several different nForce drivers...

My specs:

Asus P5K Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2GB Ram
Geforce GTX 6600 (181.00 driver)
Corsair HX620W PSU
Windows Vista 32bit

I googled the error message around, and it seems several people have had the same problem, with both same and different GPU's. On all forums, they were first told "check your PSU, check your memory etc.", but I really don't know what to do. This build is about 1½ years old, and I payed quite a sum for it but I could consider upgrading it too, even formatting it would probably do good as I've had problems with the computer ever since building it...

It'd be nice if someone could help me stop getting these BSOD's, I don't want to buy a new this and that before knowing that it will solve my problem...

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    your GPU might just be dying..
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited January 2009
    I don't know, it's just 1½ years old after all, but wouldn't that mean I could still use it's warranty?

I just thought that it might be overheating, how can I check the temperature?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    I must admit, that thought had crossed my mind but I didn't think it would be the case as you said it had alwas done it.

What Case have you got and how many fans does it have? I would try opening up the case and taking a vacume cleaner with brush attachment to it. Clean all round the CPU, the GPU and case fans and see how you get on.
    edited January 2009
    Antec P182. I just cleaned it some month ago, I doubt it is that. BTW my P182 has one extra fan, in the upper HDD cage.
    edited January 2009
    Well it's become pretty serious and ****ing unbearable now. Crashed at least three times today. :(
    How can I check my GPU's temperature? Throught the BIOS or what?

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it? I've thought about formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows (not sure if this is possible with an OEM version, anyone knows?), and buying a new GPU.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    You use a program based on your video card. Usually ATI tool will do it for you, but if you have nvidia, download Ntune from the Nvidia site. It's built specifically for Nvidia cards.

But ATI tool works on everything. Even Nvidia 6100's and Via S3 Chrome's.
    edited January 2009
    Just the idle temperature is 72 degrees (Celsius)!!
    This seems extremely high to me, it is what I expected it to be (at max) under stress...

AtiTool didn't work for me, but the NVidia one installed somekind of add-on for the driver program. I could run some stress tests and see what it rises to.

EDIT: And during the stress test in the control panel, it rose and peaked at 78 degrees towards the end of the 30 minute test.
    edited January 2009
    78's fine for a video card. Little high but it's designed to run at that temperature.

Mine's running 72C right now.
    edited January 2009
    So what could be the cause then? I'm really out of ideas now...
    edited January 2009
    Well, they stopped supporting the 6 series in the driverset 170. Try grabbing the 168 drivers and see if that fixes you up. It's a driver issue from what I understand.
    edited January 2009
    But I have a 8800GTX, that is still supported. I can try it though.
    Will it have performance issues?

EDIT: Oh, I see now that I have a typo in my first post, it isn't supposed to be a 6600GTX, it's of course supposed to be a 8800GTX.
    I can't edit it though...
    edited January 2009
    AH. Well, there's complaints all over the internets about the current drivers screwing up some third party cards. Submit a ticket with Nvidia, or go back to the latest version of drivers you were stable with.
    edited January 2009
    That's the problem, I can't remember what driver it was I had problems with. Of the latest number of drivers I've tried most of them, as in some of the later games I wanted to get better performances.

What is the best way to go back to an old driver; removing the current and then installing an old one? I once tried to remove the current, but I always had some driver installed, no matter what I did.
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it's remembering where you installed it from.

Usually, it's in your C:\Nvidia folder, it tends to keep installers from other versions.
    Just uninstall the driver, then install the one you want to try. Easy.
    edited January 2009
    I've deleted (most) of my old ones, but I kept one that had functioned well.
    Just installed the new 181.20 driver, will see how it works.

e: No, crashes even further with even lower settings. :(

What's the best way to uninstall a driver then?