Halo 3, please inquire within

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Gaming
*Official disclaimer* this thread is not for trolling halo 3. Flames will be met with marshmallows.

hmm.. does stating such a thing negate it from the start? Oh well, here we go.

What's the deal with Halo 3?

I'm, going to lay it on the table right now. I despise the series. I used to love Halo, but I never thought it was the end all be all game. I just thought it was OK. And being a serious PC gamer, it had nothing real to offer me.

I've never understood the buzz surrounding these games. Fan boys aside, I can't understand the luster, the spark, the muse that attracts gamers to this series. Most PC gamers agree with me, and I've spent my fair share of years debating against the game and why nothing it does is new and why PC gamers have been playing better shooters for years.

I've given the series a fair chance. I've beaten Halo 1 and 2, and played a bit of Halo 3. I've played a lot of multiplayer in the games as well, but mostly the first two. I'm certainly educated on the series, and I'm simply not a PC fanboy that wants to diss a game simply because it's popular.

I'm an informed gamer looking for perspective and objective viewpoints.

As I said, I'm not looking for a flame war. I would just like to hear your opinions as to why this game is so big. I understand that I am, for the most part, preaching to the choir regarding the game, but hopefully someone has something that I've been missing.

And please, don't just say 'it's the multiplayer, man.' Because it's not. The multiplayer is OK, but not outstanding and certainly not compelling.

To me the games are mediocre at best. When I play or watch others play, the game just feels aimless, there doesn't seem to be any real objective or progress gained. Multiplayer matches seem slow and void of life, just people running and gunning in environments that are too large, and there is very little teamwork and collaboration going on.

The games just don't seem to have the true strength behind them to warrant the defacto title of 'OMG BEST SHOOTER EVAR'. Perhaps it's because XBox 360 gamers have nothing else... but then again Weezer is a PC gamer who loves Halo 3.

I just don't get it. Any help here?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Trolling. First.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I got a 360 from my dad without even asking. Then ALL of my friends told me to get Halo. So I got it and I kinda liked it. I'm really playing it because my all my friends do and there is kinda a competition going on for being the best and having the greatest rank. I've been playing it a lot to rank up so I can beat all of them.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    There are better shooters for 360. It's not amazing. I've been saying so since I started playing it. One theory -

When it came out for Xbox, it was a console-defining game, and it might have been the best shooter for the console. I wouldn't be surprised if it really just snowballed from there, with the original players legitimately loving the game and becoming fans for the series and assimilating new fans because it was the most widely-played multiplayer on the consoles.

Since I started with Halo 2 on the 360, I was a little more objective than most, probably. Campaigns are fun enough; multiplayer is full of 12-year-olds that know more words than they ought to and is nothing but a jump-and-grenade-fest. It's fun for some; just not me, I think.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I really can't say for sure. It was kind of like Goldeneye for the N64, I suppose. Yes Halo was a so-so game and it had poor level design. But it was fun. The weapons while very unrealistic (the needler, what the hell?!) were inventive and fun. Kind of like the Turok weapons (cerebral bore, anyone?) that were over-the-top.

The game also had a storyline and cutscenes with a superhero badass main character. It's not overly steller like HL2, but it gave the average gamer a little more substance than the general shooter like Doom did.

And no, I don't care about the multiplayer. I'm just going for the general game and the essence/storyline. It was fun to play co-op - one drives a warthog, the other shoots everything. It was pretty fun. Plus, you fought aliens, which like robots, zombies and nazis are mother-appoved to be killed.

Though, many of the gamers were chumps. See perfect image of a Halo3 chump below:

0007za6d
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My friends got it soon after it was released and instantly started foaming at the mouth. I think it was part OMG IM PLAYING A 360 and OMG THIS GAME IS FOR THE 360; I disliked the game from the start, it just didn't appeal to me; its versatile as far as the maps you can make are concerned, and the physics is rather fun to mess around with, but you get a mix between people that never leave the game for more than 56 seconds to visit the bathroom once a day, and people that had never played before, so the multiplayer experience for me wasnt awesome either. All in all, thumbs down :-/

And yes, I traded my fullstops for my last meal.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    For the most part I am a console gamer, however I don't see what the big deal about the Halo Series is. I enjoyed the first probably just cause I was young and didn't know much better. I think the reason it became so popular is actually because of the multiplayer. It was the first console game to have online multiplayer, which was innovative and ballsy of Microsoft. It's the multiplayer that turns me away from the Halo franchise however. Listening to the little kids trash talking annoys me to no end.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    12-year-old kids causing a problem? Yell at 'em. Works for me so far. Heck! You could even pull a sarcastic kinda talk at them like Lynx did earlier. Shuts them up kick.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    12-year-old kids causing a problem? Yell at 'em. Works for me so far. Heck! You could even pull a sarcastic kinda talk at them like Lynx did earlier. Shuts them up kick.

There's also the ability to mute all people on Halo 3 multiplayer so you never hadve to hear anyone at all.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The only real reason I still play Halo 3 occasionally is because it feels like it was MADE for CTF, but Bungies matchmaking systems makes getting a game mode I want a hit-or-miss ordeal.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The same reason why I love HL1 so much - It was my first serious shooter with a storyline I could follow and enjoy. I think younger gamers drove its success - the same ones less inclined to see paramount improvements made to the next in a series of games and more willing to fork over (or have their parents fork over) $50 for newest and prettiest in the series.

(see: COD series.)
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Don't have time to explain my thoughts on it right now, maybe tomorrow morning. So for now I'll just leave this picture.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I played the first one quite a fair amount when it came out. I played it first on PC and then on a friends Xbox. I won't lie, the first Halo was a pretty decent game. I was put off by the fact that the Xbox version had less content than the PC. This wasn't my first shooter and definitely wouldn't be my last either.

I guess that Halo provided one of the better shooter experiences for console gamers than they had seen. Thus making it the "it" game to play at the time. I would argue that comparatively our PC shooters had more to offer in almost every way. It was more "l33t" to pop some awp totin' bitch with a scout in Counter Strike than it was camping spawns on Halo with sticky grenades, which is what the majority of "good" players did on Halo for console. The second and third iterations of Halo IMO haven't added much to the Halo flavor but there wasn't much competition in the shooter arena for the Xbox. So Halo continues to flourish.

In the end it shall become what it will become.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I've played the campaigns in Halo 1, 2, and 3. And I've played all 3 games. Not a lot of Halo 1, but enough to get the idea.

I like the maps on Halo 2 the best, by the time Halo 3 came out, all the talk was about how great the new graphics were, lighting and reflections and all that.

But the maps in Halo 3 just aren't as fun for me. I've played it some, but I have to push myself to plug in the 360 to play it. The Halo 3 campaign on Easy level was pretty good, I was happy to see the whole story line through the 3 games.

Also, my 360 has some strange networking requirement. Apparently it doesn't like my cheap 5+ year old Dynex ethernet router, as I have to plug the Xbox's ethernet line directly into the modem to get it an internet connection.

Then after I'm done playing I have to reset the modem and router and everything so the PC's will have internet again.

Halo 2 maps like Ascension, Beaver Creek, and Lockout are my favorite ones.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed halo 1 & 3, never liked halo 2 that much. I like the story line and think it was well thought out. Also for newer people to a console its a good game as its forgiving in sighting/shooting. I play here and there and beat the game on casual I would like to go back and do legendary. Building your own maps adds some fun too.

Also red vs blue makes me want to play after watch it. Griffball is okay too.

**PS Suck it blue's**
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    I can understand why people like Halo. They're morons.

All trolling aside, it's nothing groundbreaking. It's Half Life with plasma weapons and strange cowardly aliens with basically the same assortment of weapons, except with the added aforementioned plasma weapons.

Sure, I liked the first one. It was so basic and had a cult quality. The second comes out and they take all of that away, and they make it something unidentifiable--Foreign if you will. Three comes out and not only am I not impressed, I'm enraged. So, Xbox360 out the door. Stick to my PS3 I will. At least Sony has the guts to rip me off to my face.
    edited January 2009
    ...It's Half Life...

WHAT!!L>!>!>!>>>??!??!??
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    L is greater than ! which is greater than another !, and another ! and then the last string is the least? What does that MEEEEAAAAN?!
    edited January 2009
    It means I was so flabbergasted that after typing WHAT! I kept missing the question mark button for a little bit, then I found it again, then went back to exclamation point, then ending in question marks.

Really you don't have to explain your opinion, but I was a little surprised by the comparison. I respect your opinion and your right to express it. Carry on.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Trolling. First.

Welcome back.

I think Snarkasm has a rather good theory on it. Kids liked the first simply because there was nothing else, they stuck with it and became the rabid fanboys of today.

Good thoughts from everyone really. It confirmed more so to me what I already thought. It's a mediocre game that young'uns latched onto simply because there was nothing else.

You know, really explains with CoD4 became so popular so quick. An alternative to Halo for console MP shootan. Makes sense, gamers that knew better wanted something else.

I just hate that so many fanboys are blind to what they're playing. Why is the game good to them? It's not fun at all to me anymore, it's shortcomings far eclipse whatever good is left with the game. Not to mention the fact that I know I'd rather be playing TF2 or any number of better shooters on PC.
    I can understand why people like Halo. They're morons.

Well said.

Curious to hear Canti's thought. Get home from work and write!
    edited January 2009
    I just saw this on reddit. A little alarming.

But not indicative of any majority's behavior.
    edited January 2009
    Found his problem:
    Daniel spent 16 to 18 hours each day playing "Halo 3,"

This kid had some serious psychological problems. Has. Has some.

But if Halo weren't around, it'd be HL2 or Doom or something taking the blame.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    "You can shoot these aliens and theyre there again the next day. You have to shoot them again," the judge said. "And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever.

that's complete BS right there.....

he obviously knew what he was doing, he planned it....
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    Never cared for the first one didn't find much to like in the 2nd one never tried the third one. But I'm not a huge FPS fan in the first place. I prefer a more tactical approach so the run and gun style of Halo never really caught on for me. Gears on the other hand, love that game.
    edited January 2009
    Gears is one of those 'SUPER POPULAR OMG GOTTA PLAY IT' games that kids rave about that actually deserves it. Though not genre defining or completely revolutionary, it was a very fun game to play, and I enjoyed it's MP more than Halo's.

When it comes to console shooters, Gears is much more deserving the praise than the Halo series does. Not the greatest game in the last few years, but definitely better than Halo.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I can't wait to see how Jack Thompson is going to spin that one in the future...*sighs*
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It doesn't matter, as he got disbarred, loooooooool.
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    It doesn't matter, as he got disbarred, loooooooool.

QFWin
  • edited January 2009
    I think halo (especially 3) has a huge following due to the nature of the console beast. It has a huge multiplayer community and some of the best tools around for analyzing play during and after matches (I love some of the stuff on bungie.net that show me a frag map for me of the whole match). Also, it has the best community/support of any console shooter out there that I can see. I have a feeling that the fact that it's 'the' mlg FPS helps some as well.