help with my dell 531 xp

edited May 2009 in Science & Tech
hi i have an inspiron 531 and im trying to to do a full system restore, i tried everything i cant figure it out , i can do it on all my other computers but this one has givin me a headach so i heard i might need the xp disk so i borrowed the same one from my uncle , do you guys think you can help me witn this? i dont know how to do it with the disk please help , Bryan

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    This Windows XP CD from your Uncle, was it a Dell install CD? It should like these...

9UFwBRDE2IL3r8K.jpg

51E4ZlP6gNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited February 2009
    no it dont its a regular xp home edition disk , is there any way of doing this with or without a disk?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    So you have a regular Windows XP home disc. What happens when you try to use it?
  • edited February 2009
    it wont even try to load it is there a certain way of loading a os disk?
    edited February 2009
    When you first turn your computer on, rapidly start hitting the F12 key. You'll get presented with a menu that will let you boot from CD/DVD-ROM. Select the CD/DVD-ROM and go.
  • edited February 2009
    thank you so much ill try it
  • edited February 2009
    its not letting me it goes to a black screan that says f1 to reboot and f2 to go to setup , no matter what i do it goes to that screan
    edited February 2009
    Alright, hit F2 and find a menu item that says BOOT ORDER or BOOT PRIORITY. Set the CD/DVD-ROM first, save the settings and restart.
  • edited February 2009
    ok ill try that
  • edited February 2009
    it booted up like it normaly does im out of ideas?
  • edited February 2009
    do you think theres a way too boot the disk from the star menu?
  • mew905mew905 Saskatchewan
    edited May 2009
    unfortunately the only windows install I'm aware of that you can start from IN windows is XP to Vista or Win 98 to XP, basically upgrade, but then it leaves everything on the computer, but wipes the registry and you're left with dozens of programs that may not work because they lack the registry keys