PowerEdge T605

danniedannie Orlando
edited August 2009 in Science & Tech
The size of the C drive on my server is just over 1GB. We need to increase the size of the C drive because our email exchange locks up due to the C drive filling up. Can anyone help with this?

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2009
    You want what kind of help? Picking out another drive? Installing it? You provided almost no info really. Is this a company? Is that c: drive a raid array now? Most companies would have at least a RAID-5 array for that type of data. You want another drive, or more space on a raid array or ????

What else is on it? You have a GB of just exchange email data????

Cowboy
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    I would think that the 1gb c drive is probably the system drive, I can't imagine that's hosting the OS as well as the data store, I didn't even think you could fit the OS and exchange on a 1gb drive for that matter.

Something's not sounding right here. If you do indeed only have a 1gb drive the event logs alone could be filling it up. You could have other .tmp files as well that are killing that space.
    edited August 2009
    He said GB and I assumed he meant 1 TB. I agree A server OS and exchange wont fit well on a GB (long sigh...)

Tex
  • danniedannie Orlando
    edited August 2009
    Sorry, the 1 GB is free space on a 12GB drive. I believe Dell answered my question and we will have to reload the OS and adjust the partition size at that time. Sorry for the confusion.
    edited August 2009
    My thought to was that he meant to say 1TB. But 1TB is a lot of space to fill up with just exchange emails in, what I'm guessing, is a small environment. If it was a large enviornment I wouldn't think it'd be a one man shop running a 1 drive server and a tech guy cruising forums for help.

Just looking at our mid range setup we have 200 email accounts that have been running on exchange now for 2yrs and they haven't even capped 200gb yet (though a few users have hit their 2gb quota, most are in the 250-500mb range).

So 1gb OS + Exchange maybe if the install was well optimized. It just doesn't add up regardless of how you cut it.
    edited August 2009
    Ok that makes more sense. But let me just suggest this. If this is for a business and I don't care what size of business you are running if you are running an exchange server and are running it all only on 1 drive your nuts. Raid 5 at the very minimum is smart. Smarter is a Raid 1 for OS and Exchange and Raid 5 for your data stores.

This 1 drive wonder setup is just asking for problems. Ruling out even hardware failures, which are more likely. It's just more likely to get data corruption from fragmentation, you are risking uptime if that's a factor. Plus you can far more easily run into issue like you are currently experiencing with one part of the system filling up the space and making it unavailable to others.

I don't mean to rant but you should seriously rethink your server setup.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited August 2009
    I've got a PowerEdge 1800, same problem. Mine doesn't even have Exchange and the 12 GB C:\ is full. Mine is RAID 5 so I've got better things to do than try to repartition. I deleted everything in c:\windows\software distribution\download and bought myself over a Gig...a little breathing room. Then I moved the pagefile to the data drive. Don't make fun of me, it bought me another 2 Gigs.

Now how in the H--l he got the Op Sys and the Exchange store crammed into 12 GB....I'd like to know.
    edited August 2009
    dannie wrote:
    Sorry, the 1 GB is free space on a 12GB drive. I believe Dell answered my question and we will have to reload the OS and adjust the partition size at that time. Sorry for the confusion.

If you have free space on another partition on that drive you can just change the size of the partition not reinstall everything.

You probably talked to a Dell numbnuts in India. Come here for real advice. They gave you a LONG painful solution. You want the easy answer?

Tex
  • danniedannie Orlando
    edited August 2009
    Tex, Dell said we have to reinstall the OS and change the partition size at that time. Is there an easier, less timely solution?
    edited August 2009
    If you only have a 1gb of free space left then resizing the partition is risky.
  • danniedannie Orlando
    edited August 2009
    The only other option is to reinstall the OS, right?
    edited August 2009
    No, not the only other option. You can do a backup image of the server, then try and repartition it.

Can you tell us how the drive is currently setup, total drive space and partition setup. Also do you know how many mailboxes you have on it and what rules (if any) you are using for max mailbox size?
  • danniedannie Orlando
    edited August 2009
    I know the C is 12GB and the D is 684GB. We have 15 mailboxes and I do not believe we have any set rules regarding sizes for the mailboxes.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    As long as the partitions are not dynamic you can just Ghost the drive over to another changing the size of the partitions during the copy.
  • danniedannie Orlando
    edited August 2009
    Thanks.