DDR2 prices to rise throughout 2009

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• OhmecksOhmecks Orlando, Florida Member
    edited September 2009
    I'm having mixed feelings about this. On one hand, DDR2 is finally going the way of DDR. It's always good to move on. On the other hand, all my systems use DDR2, meaning upgrading my RAM will cost me a few extra dollars. Probably not much more, but still enough to elicit some small disappointment.

I've also noticed DDR2 prices going up on NewEgg. Most, if not all the 2x 2GB kits went over the $50 mark around early August.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Glad I bought 2x2GB for my laptop on Sunday, before things get any more expensive. I paid $50 for bargain basement stuff, but a lot of kits are up to $60 now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    http://www.allbusiness.com/electronics/computer-equipment-computer-chips-memory/6299128-1.html

The chip price is controlled by three vendors. Its a commodity market like gasoline, no wonder pricing is so volatile.

Cliff, that article is from 2005. There are now many, many memory makers:
    Hynix
    Infineon
    Micron
    Samsung
    Nanya
    Inotera
    Qimonda
    Elpida

And there are more. Facts before zeal.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    RAM is still a comodity based market, thats why there is barely a difference in cost across serveral makers. Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, G-Skill all priced withing 5% of each other in most cases (since they have to buy their chips on the same commodity market). Everybody knows Samsung and Hynix are bed buddies (aka stratigic partners). They have been price fixing that market forever.

I barely care, its still cheap enough, but RAM is a commodity based market like gasoline, which is kind of ridiculous. It goes up and down and all around from one week to the next. Heck, you can go on Crucial.com today, price a stick, and 24 hours from now they could raise or lower the price as much as 10% and then back again two weeks later. RAM pricing has always been volitile that way.
  • edited September 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Glad I bought 2x2GB for my laptop on Sunday, before things get any more expensive. I paid $50 for bargain basement stuff, but a lot of kits are up to $60 now.

I did the same one month ago for my laptop:) But bought Crucial 2x2 DDR2 for $46. I don't think I will need to upgrade it ever again. Prices have been extremely affordable in the last 10-12 months for DDR2 memory. I have upgraded all of the computers and it will be DDR3 next time I buy memory again.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    ^same here^