Thoughts on new hard disk

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited December 2009 in Hardware
I am looking at a new HD and I have found this one. I was just wondering what peoples opinions of Samsung drives are an this one in particular.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-082-SA&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=1279

I have always bought Seagate and Maxtor in the past.

Comments

• photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited November 2009
    I'm personally Biased towards all manufactures but I do trust Western digital and Seagate.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited November 2009
    I have not owned a samsung drive, actually ever, however those spinpoints were pretty well liked when they came out if I remember correctly, for performance & price. And I considered one, until better prices appeared on WD Green drives. They were the first I believe to use 3x333GB platters, but the one you linked to I think has 2x500GB, so should be even better than the original.

I'm going to say you can't go wrong with that one. Just take into consideration 1.5TB is the best bang for the buck right now, and even 2TB aren't too far behind. On the flipside, 1TB may be quieter, cooler, or more reliable simply because there are less moving parts in them. Also, outside the US prices may be different, so my "best bang for the buck" comment may not be applicable to you.
  • edited December 2009
    I am using a single-platter SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB. It is a quiet disk and much faster than the other two-platter WD6400AAKS, which is one year older. Since I have been using the Samsung disk since two month, I can not comment on the reliability yet.