Droid named as Time's gadget of the year

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Gadget of the year when it has been out for a month or less? Yay Time.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Hey, I don't think that the Nook has even begun shipping yet. If it has, it's only just begun. Compared to that, the Droid has been out forever.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Gadget of the year when it has been out for a month or less? Yay Time.

I think it's a valid award. The Droid is an exceptionally compelling device, both from a hardware and software perspective, that's every bit as capable the other contender considered in its category, and it has a better network.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Android: Enabling a mobile phone company that was on the verge of bankruptcy to not only redeem itself but release the gadget of the year.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    The story of how the Droid came to be is a pretty interesting one.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Should've been the Mark IV. That thing is mind-blowing.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Seriously, you guys? I mean, have you even SEEN sliced bread?
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Saturday, my wife and I upgraded our vintage phones. I went with the HTC Touch Pro 2 and my wife got a Droid. The HTC does better in battery life, speakerphone (really cool, just turn the phone over and put it on the table) and slide out keyboard. Other than that, my wife's Droid blows it out of the water. I'm contemplating turning in the HTC for and getting the Droid as well.
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited December 2009
    with ATT heading towards punitive bandwidth charges I'll be watching here for the hack, ahem,, adjustment.. to convert Iphones to Verizon..
    edited December 2009
    Not possible. iPhones use GSM cellular radios, while Verizon uses CDMA. They're completely incompatible.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Love my Motorola Cliq. AT&T, you had everyone's interest but all things come to an end. You haven't adapted enough and now you will suffer for it.
    edited December 2009
    I find it amusing that AT&T and VZW have gradually undergone a role reversal since the advent of the iPhone. Where Verizon was once reviled as the "unwanted" carrier that forbade WiFi and offered no compelling phones, now it's AT&T that is unwanted as the carrier which has clung too tightly to the iPhone at the expense of product diversity and customer satisfaction.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    Not to mention that AT&Ts network is woefully inadequate in many areas... says the T-Mobile user. :rolleyes: