dell operating system windows xp

edited April 2010 in Science & Tech
my computer wiped it self so reinstalled windows. but not without the windows xp cd that came with the computer but with this cd a friend gave me. but i think its a pirated version since i cant get upgrades and such. is it still possible to do the thing where the computer restores the it self from the hidden partition even if u have installed an operating system. my computer is inspiron 6000

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    that depends on if it had a hidden partition to begin with and if you wiped out the partitions in the process of installing the new OS.

You could also try and use the Microsoft windows xp key changer tool if you have the legit serial for the version of xp you were previously running.
  • edited April 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    that depends on if it had a hidden partition to begin with and if you wiped out the partitions in the process of installing the new OS.

You could also try and use the Microsoft windows xp key changer tool if you have the legit serial for the version of xp you were previously running.
    if i do this will it affect my already installed softwares, and and the key changer u mentioned can i seriously use it on another product it was not originally . cause the product the product key was ment for wiped from my system . sorry i went to the website and it was all teck talk i did not understand a thing
  • edited April 2010
    The product key should be on the side or top of your Dell computer case, which should work on your Dell computer. You can also request Dell to send you another disc if you cannot find yours. For your other products, if you have re-installed them and enter the new Windows XP Product key your installed software should still work as they are dependent on their own software keys/licensing. But I would recommend installing a fresh clean official version of Windows as the pirated copy you currently have installed might have other unknown things added with it.

As Microsoft has added some checks to Windows XP updates that will still not allow you to update even with official legitimate versions of XP installed if certain rootkits are found on the system as they conflict with certain updates and cause bluescreens. Windows Security Essentials and/or Windows Defender have been known to be able to remove some of these rootkits and allow users to continue with doing Windows Updates.
  • edited April 2010
    im sure nothing was added with the windows xp i ve got i have my producr key for my previous windows xp and i was wondering if i can use on this one . if u have an email address i can send an email to and get cds pls write cos i called them and theykept putting me on hold and i ran out of money.u :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:thanks
  • edited April 2010
    I am normally able to get in contact with them in about 5-30 minutes when I call. Or you can call tech support and at times they are able to ship something out to you. Make sure you have your service tag in hand and a phone with some minutes ( unlimited ) like a land line, skype, etc.