NZXT reveals Vulcan mATX case

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Love how they eliminated the drive bays along the area where the graphics card is installed. So few matx cases do this leaving you very limited on what cards you can fit.

My only concern looking at the design is noise, its not going to win and silent computing awards, but thats the price you pay for that kind of air flow.

I dig it, its a good looking case.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I have personally used the 200mm and 120mm fans linked in this article, and I will say that they're VERY quiet, especially when you turn them down via the fan controller (the NZXT Hades uses the same design).
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Exactly. It's like the Antec Nine Hundred or any CPU/GPU heatsink. You're only as loud as your fans are allowed to get. If the lowest settings are too loud, swap the fans for quiet ones.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    mertesn wrote:
    Exactly. It's like the Antec Nine Hundred or any CPU/GPU heatsink. You're only as loud as your fans are allowed to get. If the lowest settings are too loud, swap the fans for quiet ones.

I use the Antec P183 which is built like a tank with sound dampening side walls. It helps to contain it a great deal, if I take the side panel off, its much louder, maybe as much as double.

Fan selection certainly helps, but its still like sitting next to a case with its side off, which, is a really cool design, I'm not knocking it. It might be the one mAtx enclosure on the market that you could over-clock the snot out of.

So its a balancing act. I love it though, I can only think of two traditional tower style matx cases that I would consider "enthusiast" The Antec Mini P180 is one, and now this one. Its a form factor that most enthusiast users would skip just because the enclosure selection is limited to little lan box's that are neat, but the power requirements of today's enthusiast desktops just don't fit. This case is a really nice option.

I'm building a system now with Antec's Mini P180, sound was more of a concern for me than a massive over-clock though.

The Vulcan mATX might be the only micro tower that we would say is over-clocker friendly. Its a differentiated offering, I like it.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I see room for a real heatsink and cable routing. Congrats NZXT, YUOR DOING IT RITE.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    WANT.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure I want something on my desk that resembles a welding machine.
  • OptixOptix New Brunswick, Canada
    edited April 2010
    @ fatcat: want moar!

I like NZXT. Their cases are always well thought out even if their old 120mm fans were noisier than all get out.

Depending on the price tag I may hold onto my crappy Thermaltake V3 until this one launches.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Been looking for a new case all morning! Was wanting to buy one today though :P
  • wpeltolawpeltola Indiana
    edited April 2010
    Interesting design, but what about dust filters? Most of the mid-high end gaming cases these days are coming out with dust filters and I certainly have appreciated that addition since I have three cats :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Death to dust filters!
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Internal design looks nice but the bezel is way too bulky for an mATX case and rather ugly as well.
  • wpeltolawpeltola Indiana
    edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Death to dust filters!

Haha, they are a pain in the @$$ to clean, but I'd rather have the crud stuck in those than hanging out on the expensive internal components :buck:
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    wpeltola wrote:
    Haha, they are a pain in the @$$ to clean, but I'd rather have the crud stuck in those than hanging out on the expensive internal components :buck:

This ^ I miss the dust filters on my old Enermax case.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    why isn't this bitch at newegg yet :rant:

edit> nvm http://store.nzxt.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CR%2DVULCAN