Fermi in a notebook? Yep. NVIDIA announces GeForce GTX 480M

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm reminded of Dr. Ian Malcolm.

Just because you can, does not necessarily mean you should. If I sit this thing on my lap, am I going to go sterile?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That's not the point of a DTR. You know that. Stir harder, Cliff. ;)
    edited May 2010
    Well, Nvidia did say Fermi was going to cure cancer. Put that thing on your lap long enough, there should be enough radiation to shrink a tumor.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    We need to get keebs on making a plug-in for the Thrax blocker to extend it to a Cliff filter.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Troll_fail.jpg
    edited May 2010
    Oh Buddy J, you cut me, you cut me deep!

Come on, somebody bite!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    We need to get keebs on making a plug-in for the Thrax blocker to extend it to a Cliff filter.

Perhaps we should just extend it to an annoyance filter and add :tim: in on it as well.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    1272954302536483.jpeg
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    The funny thing is Nvidia cut the power down on a full GF100 chip. it looks like all those extra Fermi chips that made the bad yield pile made the 480M pile.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Of course they did. The 480M has 22% less CUDA cores than the full GF100.
  • edited May 2010
    ATI HD 5870 Mobility has 800 SPU's compared to 1600 of HD 5870. Using crippled chips as mobile must be a common practice.
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited May 2010
    Mobile chips have traditionally been less powerful than their desktop counterparts with their same name, which makes sense. There's no way to fit an effective cooling system for a the desktop Fermi card in a laptop.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That unsuccessful troll has a sweet jacket, though.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Mobile chips have traditionally been less powerful than their desktop counterparts with their same name, which makes sense. There's no way to fit an effective cooling system for a the desktop Fermi card in a laptop.

But the Fermi laptop chip is a GF100 chip... It is not a special spin it is a broken down disabled bad desktop GTX 480 chip for the most part.

Brian Burke, Senior Nvidia PR
    GeForce GTX 480M GPUs are based on the Fermi architecture. In fact, GeForce GTX 480M uses the same chip as the Desktop GF100. It is customized to fit into the notebook thermal budget, with tweaks to the cores and clocks to fit into the TGP envelope of notebooks.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    That will be one HOT running laptop! I wonder how long batteries will last in it.