Blu Ray / DVD Software Options??

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited May 2011 in Science & Tech
With another of my wonderful "OOPSes" on ebay it appears I supposed to be getting an unopened retail LG BH12LS35 Blu Ray burner.

While retail which means it'll have some kind of software, don't think I've ever heard nice words about most of those, sooooooooo.......

Don't want to need a second mortgage, but what would be a nice third party SW to burning and viewing BR & DVD??

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately, none of the awesome open source video players can play Bluray (at least without something like AnyDVD in between them ... and I don't know how they are legit, but I bought it and it works flawlessly) because of licensing issues. So, you would need to purchase something like ArcSoft Total Media Theater Extreme (for authoring and playback, $119.95) or PowerDVD 11 Ultra ($99.95). Easy choice, imo, considering you want to author. You will not be able to rip them (given that the MPAA doesn't like you to be able to store your movies in a convenient manner). Check PM
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited May 2011
    Everytime I ask how to do something I realize I don't know anywhere as much I would to think I do!! :crazy:

Need to get the system together, put the items in, try to do something, and then ask the questions. ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    The PowerDVD 7.3? that came with my LG has played everything just fine so far. I don't know how much you want as far as special features but this has been just fine for me. It came with the LG Combo Blue/HDDVD I got a couple years ago. I have also read that everything fron PowereDVD9 and above works well.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    The ArcSoft solution is pretty neat, integrates into Windows Media Center as another option. Good for home theater if you're going with the Windows solution (though I don't know who really does that nowadays). Good software, haven't had complaints with it.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited May 2011
    I personally would recommend total media theater. I just like the fact its a swiss army knife of blu-ray players.
    edited May 2011
    Okay currently looking at PowerDVD 11 Ultra and TMT 5 as both are around 99.00. The thing that gets me about buying all this software is I still need to get something for me to play with when I want to go beyound the native Nikon offering that came with my new camera!
    edited May 2011
    jedihobbit wrote:
    Okay currently looking at PowerDVD 11 Ultra and TMT 5 as both are around 99.00. The thing that gets me about buying all this software is I still need to get something for me to play with when I want to go beyound the native Nikon offering that came with my new camera!

OOPSed on the 'bay for 61 shipped however wasn't paying attention....in transit from India (I hope)! :eek3: