Kudos to CD Projekt RED: new patch removes DRM and enhances consumer experience

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thank you CD Projekt RED. I will be buying your game because of this change. Count on that.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, this makes me want to go out and purchase this game right now JUST to support this kind of mentality. Vote with our pocketbooks, etc.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I may never play this game, but I'm seriously considering purchasing it specifically to support decisions like this.

Bravo. Let's hope other developers take notice.

Edit: Do we have contact information for them for E3? I see them only in PMRs, but I'd love to talk to them just to congratulate them for doing this.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2011
    Nice ! I was thinking about waiting for a price drop before trying the game but now i'll buy it as soon as i can to encourage this kind of decision.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Do we have contact information for them for E3? I see them only in PMRs, but I'd love to talk to them just to congratulate them for doing this.

If you look at the calendar I shared with you (AHEM!) ;) I made an appointment with them. I also emailed the senior producer for the game and personally thanked him for this.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    lol... I suppose I should go forth and do that, then.

Carry on.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    They only remove the DRM from games I don't care to torrent! ;*)

All kidding aside, good post in recognition of this move. DRM is an evil that must be destroyed!
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    In one single move, Projekt RED has jumped to my personal (and rather short) list of worthwhile game companies to rally behind. Ultra mega kudos to the team for doing this, and for all the RIGHT reasons.

My interest in the Witcher 2 used to be only a casual curiosity stemmed from positive remarks I've heard about the game so far... but after this, I'll most likely be picking it up sometime.

This really is awesome news. However, I really, seriously hope that this will become a trend with game providers, and not just a notable instance that only occurs every blue moon or two.

To the rest of the gaming industry still using crippling DRM: your move.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2011
    I may actually buy a game again, if things like this start happening.. Haven't bought a game in a few years, including from one of my favorite series, which turned evil with activation requirements.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    And now apparently, Poland gave President Obama a copy of this game as a gift. Interesting.
    The Witcher is not just a Polish-developed video game series, it's based on a series of books by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. So The Witcher is something of a national pride symbol, as well it should be.
    DHEF2.jpg
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I bought this game. I don't normally buy single player games anymore... but, due to a lot of factors, including the gaming community at Icrontic and supporting this decision, I will start with Witcher 2.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Awesome move.

And buy the game because it is GOOD, not because it doesn't have DRM. The first one was great also. Give it a shot!