SSD and MBR Problem

edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
So I started a new build and I finally got everything I needed. I started to install windows 7 64bit oem on a 64gb kindston v100 ssd and half way through it came up with an error. So i shut down the computer started it back up and it starts to say loading OS then immediately to NO MBR found.. I expected this. What I didn't expect was everytime I boot up this happens. I start from cd drive and it happens. I start from USB drive and it happens. I tried changing around my sata connectors, reseating my ram, and now i am virtually out of things to try. Can anyone shed some light on my issue!? If it helps I have aGA-880GM-UD2H Socket AM3 880G mATX Motherboard.

Comments

  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited July 2011
    And you can't get to the Win7 screen that allows you to reformat the disk?
  • edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    And you can't get to the Win7 screen that allows you to reformat the disk?

    Correct, no matter what windows or ubuntu disk i try it automatically just goes to no mbr found. If i set up in bios boot from cd or boot from usb same thing happens.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited July 2011
    Does it boot from CD correctly when you disconnect the disk?
  • edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Does it boot from CD correctly when you disconnect the disk?

    I will try when I get home tonight. I know the cd drive is good so it should.
  • edited July 2011
    It does work properly with the ssd drive disconnected.. So the culprit is the SSD, is it possible to fix it or am I better off getting a replacement drive?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited July 2011
    If you have the ability to make an http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ you may be able to reformat the ssd and start over.
  • edited July 2011
    Zanthian wrote:
    If you have the ability to make an http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ you may be able to reformat the ssd and start over.

    how do i do that when the ssd is in it wont boot from a disk?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    You need to figure out how to adjust the boot order. There is no way that having the SSD would prevent you from booting off a CD/USB if they were higher in boot order or selected for one-time booting.
  • edited July 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    You need to figure out how to adjust the boot order. There is no way that having the SSD would prevent you from booting off a CD/USB if they were higher in boot order or selected for one-time booting.

    I have set up in the bios first boot device - cd the harddrive, did not work, i also have brought up the quick option of where to boot, and still no luck. the SSD is really not letting me boot from anything else.
  • edited July 2011
    Oh and the error is actually BOOT MGR missing.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    I don't know what to tell you, because that is not possible. The SSD has no control over what you boot from, just that something with windows on that disk is broken (hence BOOT MGR MISSING). There should be an option for single booting from a CD drive or USB. Try USB if CD isn't working ... for whatever reason. Having the SSD plugged in would not make the BIOS ignore boot order if everything else was plugged in.
  • edited July 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    I don't know what to tell you, because that is not possible. The SSD has no control over what you boot from, just that something with windows on that disk is broken (hence BOOT MGR MISSING). There should be an option for single booting from a CD drive or USB. Try USB if CD isn't working ... for whatever reason. Having the SSD plugged in would not make the BIOS ignore boot order if everything else was plugged in.

    I did the single booting and hose cd anddidnt work also tried USB and didn't work, I got it to work by clearing the bios and it started from a cd after that.

    What I find weird though is my bios says "loading os" then it will say boot from cd/DVD.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    If you are booting from a windows CD, that is normal behavior.
  • edited July 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    If you are booting from a windows CD, that is normal behavior.

    It happens with any cd no just windows, or no cd.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    Oh that is strange. I guess the BIOS reports "loading OS" when it is loading anything. Weird.
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    Is it possible to unplug the SSD, boot from the CD, and then before you get to the formatting option screen plug it back in? I am not sure when the windows installation CD actual checks for hard drives
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    You could certainly try. It shouldn't do SATA detection of drives until later in the install process.
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    You could certainly try. It shouldn't do SATA detection of drives until later in the install process.

    I know the Ubuntu installation disks do not do it until you get to that part of the installation process
Sign In or Register to comment.