Script messages tie up my computer

edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi, I'm getting messages that a script has stopped running, something like that and I have to click to stop running that script.

My computer just sits there. Yahoo mail is very slow. So is the letters being typed-I type pretty fast and this old computer doesn't keep up with me.

I'm using Firefox 4 I think and this is a refurbished computer.

My C drive shows there is no memory. It was about 50% yesterday. I am clearing the cache regularly.

CCleaner has helped a lot, I think.

Anyone know what else I can do to clear up the script problem, the yahoo and typing problems?

-Suzanne

Comments

• edited July 2011
    My mistake, I clicked drive D showing it was compltely out of space.

My C drive is about 50% full.
  • edited July 2011
    My system:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Thank you!

-Suzanne
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Hello,
    The script problem is the result of Yahoo Mail timing out while it's trying to do something. There are a number of things that can cause this.
    I'd recommend you upgrade to firefox 5.0
    www.getfirefox.com
    Next I would open FireFox and visit the below URL to get the latest version of Flash Player installed
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Lastly, you should stop clearing your cache and using CCleaner. The point of cached files is generally to improve performance so you do not have to redownload them every time. In Yahoo Mail's case, it would store all the files you see every time in one spot .. like the Yahoo logo ... so you do not have to download it over and over. It will just reference the file on your hard drive which is much faster than downloading it, and then referencing it.

Then I would visit Yahoo Mail again and see if the error persists. If it does, you could try a different browser. Chrome, Safari, and Opera all work nicely and move quickly.

Good luck.
  • edited August 2011
    Thank you PrateNinja. I will do what you have suggested and get back to you with a progress report - I appreciate your advice!

Have a nice day!

S
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    One of the nice things about both Thunderbird and Firefox in version 5.0 stable for each is that they have a more secure core than 4+. Both are outgrowths of Gecko 5.0
  • edited August 2011
    Straight_Man: I have Firefox 5.0. I find it is much better and faster than Internet Explorer.
  • edited August 2011
    Hello,
    The script problem is the result of Yahoo Mail timing out while it's trying to do something. There are a number of things that can cause this.
    I'd recommend you upgrade to firefox 5.0
    www.getfirefox.com
    Next I would open FireFox and visit the below URL to get the latest version of Flash Player installed
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Lastly, you should stop clearing your cache and using CCleaner. The point of cached files is generally to improve performance so you do not have to redownload them every time. In Yahoo Mail's case, it would store all the files you see every time in one spot .. like the Yahoo logo ... so you do not have to download it over and over. It will just reference the file on your hard drive which is much faster than downloading it, and then referencing it.

Then I would visit Yahoo Mail again and see if the error persists. If it does, you could try a different browser. Chrome, Safari, and Opera all work nicely and move quickly.

Good luck.

I have the two downloads installed: Firefox 5 and flashplayer.

I have been told so many times to empty the cache I thought it was all bad.

Anyway, the last time I did a CCleaner scan it said I was missing several dll files. It must be when I deleted downloaded files without going to the control panel to do so when I got this computer a few years ago. It is refurbished. And so it is my fault because I wasn't careful when deleting files. Learn as you go, I guess. I won't ever do that again.

Thx.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    You may want to try running sfc /scannow from the run prompt for checking key windows files (but it may require a windows installation CD that you may or may not have).