[BLOG] Coming out of hibernation

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Well something definitely changed between the last two nights and this one. Anybody want to offer their expertise here?

1) I ate a very high protein breakfast consisting of chicken breast and baked beans

2) I had a high protein lunch consisting of month-expired rotten bacon

3) I had a high carb dinner of tomato soup and noodles

4) I drank a lot of water today

5) I drank a bunch of cups of green tea with no sugar today

You tell me. I swear if it's the rotten bacon I'll be pissed.

After the half mile mark I knew it was gonna be alright; I felt great. I had originally decided on 1.5 miles because of my shitty last two nights, but at the .75 mark I kept going. I ended up going three miles, and I'm not out of breath, not sore, not tired, I actually feel fantastic.

Please don't let it be the rotten bacon. It tasted like sadness and nightmares.

I think doors are beginning to open for me. I'm beginning to see things stir and shudder; like a bear coming out of hibernation, the first rustle before he begins shaking the ice off of his fur. They are all small hints, subtle changes, but they are undeniable. There are ever so slight physical details that I'll spare you; but I am beginning to see the difference. The same goes for my emotional state. Like lighting a fire begins with the cracking of two stones—a few sparks are made and one begins to understand how they might catch the kindling. I have finally found dry kindling. I have finally found two stones. I begin to lose the despair that I will ever find someone, that my dreams of hot orgies surrounded by beautiful people will go forever unfulfilled, that someone will never again look me in the eye and tell me that they love me.

Most people are familiar with the classic stages of grief. I believe there are a different set of stages for people who have become fat. I realized that there was a point when I was bitter towards others, like those who had it better than me; those who were loved; those who were having sex; those who were attractive, motivated, successful, and happy.

I got over that a while back, but my journey was nowhere near complete. The next stage was self-loathing. I no longer begrudged other people their happiness and hotness, I simply hated myself. I forgave others for accomplishing what I couldn't, and just sat there and beat myself up over it.

Then came the despair. I wanted so desperately to be loved, not realizing that I had created a paradox—for a time nobody could love me because I did not love myself. I learned to let go of my self loathing and began to remember that I was lovable, that I did have good qualities, that I am a great person.

Now, the despair is ending. I can't tell you what sparked it, even though I've re-read my first journal entry several times. I honestly can't think of what changed. But, as you know, things did indeed change.

I don't know what this next stage is; it's certainly not the end, but it's a step closer to being able to have the things I want again.

And for those who have been inquiring: yes, I saw rabbits tonight, and last night, and every single night before this.

brownrabbit.jpg

Comments

• jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    You are a great person! If you dont believe in yourself then how can you believe that good things will happen to you? I love ya buddy!!

ps stay away from foods high in carbs if you dont burn them they turn to fat!!
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    things that are awesome:
    - this blog post
    - the grand canyon
    - your new attitude!

for serious, what a turnaround. it warms the cockles of my heart to see you feeling so good! <3
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    I don't know a lot about running, but if you think you've been 'hitting the wall,' it's because you're running out of glucose in your muscles - carbs! Your body tries to use carbohydrates for energy before anything else, because they have the least energy-per-volume ratio - it's inefficient stuff your body doesn't want, but it IS energy. Once your body is out of carbs, your muscles get PISSED and have to get ATP from elsewhere - namely, the aerobic TCA cycle (if you haven't converted all your pyruvate to lactic acid) OR from burning fats (which is what you want!). "Hitting the wall" is a failure to switch properly from one energy source to another.

But most people don't hit the wall until they've burned A LOT of calories (what is it, like 1500?). There may be (and it's more likely that there are) other mechanisms that are causing your pain. I don't really know a lot about that.

Jokerz is right, too. If you don't burn those carbs, your body will convert them to fat - which has a much more efficient energy-per-volume ratio.

Also, I've been following your runningfor a bit, and all I gots to say is: good man! I'll go for a run or two with you at EPIC if you plan to keep it up.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    Awesome dude, I'm proud of you. Your improvement is most likely not due to the consumption of copious amounts of rotten bacon and most likely due to eating fairly well and being hydrated (I know you're disappointed). If my new learnings are correct, don't eat too many carbs, eat more protein and add some fruits and veggies to the diet. Don't eat too close to bedtime either. Also what really helped me a lot mentally and physically was cutting out sugar from my diet. No pop, no candy etc, just fruits. My buddy lost 10 pounds from only doing that, I lost less but I'm just a wittle guy.

Oh yeah, the next step

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yxiv3CBMS4M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yxiv3CBMS4M&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>