Sandia cooler. 30% more efficient and licensed to an unnamed company

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    This could be a boon to Laptops also, in the future.
  • So let me get this straight. There is no metal to metal contact at all? It's creating a mini typhoon right above the CPU die and that's enough to transfer the heat to the fins?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    So what if the CPU is on its side relative to the force of gravity, as it is in most desktop computers? What then? Will this thing fall over? There will be no force of gravity keeping it pushed against the CPU. And what about laptops that get moved into many positions?

This is technology with severe limitations. Not practical for the home user.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I have no idea what I'm talking about
    Fixed.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I agree with Tim. If it falls over, because of gravity, it will probably land at the bottom of the case. Meaning, lower center of gravity = increased stability. So then this will make the PC more stable but not necessarily cooler. Especially around corners or bad weather conditions.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'm concerned that this is one of those designs that would work well to replace the crappy OEM heatsinks, but can't scale upwards to benefit enthusiasts.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So let me get this straight. There is no metal to metal contact at all? It's creating a mini typhoon right above the CPU die and that's enough to transfer the heat to the fins?
    They are trying to make the boundary layer of air as small as possible - the rotating makes the layer smaller by some strange behavior of air at that small air gap.

There is always this layer at a microscopic level, even with bolting on a heatsink. So if they can take advantage by treating the air like a fluid rather than an insulator, then you get better cooling.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    No Butters, you don't get it. The fact that most CPUs are on their sides in computer cases means there's no steady reliable force to keep the spinning part in close contact with the CPU.

Or maybe you did get it and are trying to be funny.

Maybe the people who make this CPU cooler can invent a socket adapter that turns the CPU 90 degrees so it stays horizontal, so this design can work.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    It seems like it'd be very useful for servers, but it seems to have limited applications for a desktop setting.
  • https://ip.sandia.gov/techpdfs/Fundamentally New Approach.pdf
    The cooler doesnt use gravity to hold itself together. It will work in any orientation, even upside down. The thin layer of air separating the two parts is more like a bearing that transfers heat well.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Like tau_awolfe said, it creates a vortex which pulls the entire apparatus to the CPU close enough to work normally. I imagine this would even work upside down, but what you are saying is completely untrue. It would never go flying off (because the top is still attached like a normal heat sink) and the functionality isn't changed. It would have functionality in both desktop and server setups, to reduce noise generated.