Battle.net accounts compromised (potentially)

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Gaming
Database was encrypted, but change your b.net pw and the pw for any accounts that shared it.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/09/blizzard-internal-network-hacked-battle-net-account-details-com/

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Not good, I better change pw now.
  • From what I read, sounds more like the passwords were encrypted, but e-mails and security question related stuff was not.

Which sucks hard, because A. more targeted phishing attempts for people who play Blizzard games, and B. there's no way to actually change your security question for Battle.net...yet. They've announced that they are currently creating a tool to allow people to change their security questions...yeah.
    GHoosdum
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Meh, I use the logon hash generation thinger. ...when I'm even bothering with their games.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Quady, if you hadn't said there's no way to change the security question, I would have searched forever and not found it. You saved me a lot of time.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    midga said:

Meh, I use the logon hash generation thinger. ...when I'm even bothering with their games.

me too. but this was also the final straw that got me to move to unique keepass passwords for all my sites.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I'm guessing that even if you canceled your account months ago your info was probably compromised, too, right?

This is why there needs to be a "forget you ever heard of me option" when you cancel service. Of course I realize that runs counter to their interests.
  • I'm assuming you mean WoW account, @Gargoyle. Those things stick around FOREVER.