Mushkin Catalyst Cache SSD makes your slow hard drive go fast

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    Is there an advantage to using a caching SSD with an existing HDD instead of just using a regular SSD to install the OS and frequently used software?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Yes. If you have an existing Windows install on a hard drive, the cache SSD can just be dropped in. Once the Dataplex software is installed, that drive's contents will be cached as the software sees fit. It works pretty well, and it's the same software that is included with the OCZ Synapse (cache SSDs) and OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Software is also better than you at determining what files are accessed the most, and therefore you can use a smaller drive to cache, rather than installing everything to the ssd.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Says these are assembled in the USA. I always figured these were made overseas. Who does the assembly?
    I know one of their offices is in the Denver Tech Center. It's quite possible this is one assembly location. I've asked the PR rep and will hopefully have a definitive answer soon.
    It's assembled in a facility just outside of Austin, TX.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Very cool. Thanks for the info.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Would you consider the Dataplex software to be stable enough to deploy for server systems or is it too new/untested/beta?
    I haven't had any issues with it. I do not know the levels to which DataPlex has been certified, but their web site indicates the software is suitable.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Well, I know in the past, people couldn't install Dataplex on Server 2008. So I wasn't sure if that was a limitation of the version OCZ put out or if it's a limitation of Dataplex in general.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?98808-Installing-Dataplex-on-Windows-Server-2008-R2
    Everyone gets the same version of Dataplex. NVELO is the developer, and once they have a new version available it gets sent to everyone that produces hardware that works with the software. I have no idea if they've added compatibility for any particular version.

Your question does bring up a point though: all of these devices are targeted at the end user, which is why compatibility with Windows 7 is listed, but server versions are not. If you want a caching device in a server, you're probably best off looking for an enterprise solution or an SSD that doesn't require caching software.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    mertesn said:

Everyone gets the same version of Dataplex. NVELO is the developer, and once they have a new version available it gets sent to everyone that produces hardware that works with the software. I have no idea if they've added compatibility for any particular version.

Your question does bring up a point though: all of these devices are targeted at the end user, which is why compatibility with Windows 7 is listed, but server versions are not. If you want a caching device in a server, you're probably best off looking for an enterprise solution or an SSD that doesn't require caching software.

or ZFS.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Mmmm, ZFS.
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    Anyone know a place that sells these? Newegg is out of stock. :/
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian