Hands-on preview of the Nintendo Wii U

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Gaming

Comments

• BuddyJPeter Gill Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I guess the question is, if a Wii U showed up at ICHQ, do you think it would get played all weekend during an event, or would it get shoved into a dusty corner? Novelty or legit party machine?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Legit party machine. Based on the alread-existing fun we've had with ICHQ groups and New Super Mario Bros ALONE, the new games and methods of interacting are even more potentially lulzy. Bourbon and Nintendo Land are going to go very, very well together.
    JBoogalooGargBuddyJ
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    It'll all come down to consistent responsiveness, and good third-party development. I stopped using my Wii because I was sick of having to work really hard at getting my pointer to be where I wanted it to be. If I wanted to play games like that, I could just use a mouse.

I'm curious if there will be any sort of transfer from my Wii to a Wii U. I've got some downloaded software titles I'd prefer to not have to purchase again, and I for sure wouldn't want to have to keep my Wii around and hooked up just to play a few things on it.

Of course, it's not like I really use it now anyway. Consoles are cool, but as there's really never anyone at my place to pick up the player 2 controller, I just can't be bothered breaking away from the PC. Looking forward to trying one of these out, though :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Bourbon and Nintendo Land are going to go very, very well together.

Reporting for duty.
    UPSLynxLinc
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I've never had any issues with pointer calibration. Once it's calibrated it works really well. That's one I've not heard before.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    midga said:

I'm curious if there will be any sort of transfer from my Wii to a Wii U. I've got some downloaded software titles I'd prefer to not have to purchase again, and I for sure wouldn't want to have to keep my Wii around and hooked up just to play a few things on it.

Yup, but you do need to have both on. Only a problem for folks that sold their Wii thinking stuff was stored in the cloud, I guess.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I've never had any issues with pointer calibration. Once it's calibrated it works really well. That's one I've not heard before.

Ditto.

Well, I guess I just fail at pointer, then =/
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Sounds like a definite good time with a good group of people and adult beverages as an added bonus.
  • Question? (I'm too lazy for Google today)

The existing virtual console content that I own on my current Wii, can I transfer it to the Wii U?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'm pretty sure that was just answered (I'm assuming games and other virtual content are similar)
    Gargoyle said:

midga said:

Yup, but you do need to have both on. Only a problem for folks that sold their Wii thinking stuff was stored in the cloud, I guess.

• @Tushon - Told you I was feeling lazy! I owe you one.

That's exciting, I mean, I'd prefer to unload my old Wii as part of the transaction, but keeping my virtual console content, glass half full.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    real hard at work here.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    @midga, I wouldn't mind being able to get my Wii saves off your console either :P.
    @drasnor, sure thing. Just let me know what I need to do.
  • Ever the pessimist, this sounds like another gimmick to me. Sure, the Wii is fun to play at parties (and it sounds like this will be too), but what about the other 99% of the time? I've had a Wii in my house since June (when my fiancee moved in). I have yet to use it for anything but streaming Netflix movies.... and that will likely stop once I get a more capable home theater box up and running again. Just doesn't seem worth the cost to me.... but my opinion is probably the minority so v0v