New system build: Having issues powering up

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
OK. I have my new machine assembled, but when I go to power it up, its on for a second then shuts down. The mobo is getting power, and all the fans spin, but only for 1 second then it goes dark. Any thoughts?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Confirm that you have power to all things which need it, i.e. CPU power is separate from mobo, video card, etc. Is there a diagnostic LED? If so, what is the last thing it displays before the power shuts off again? Confirm everything is seated properly and your RAM is installed per the manuals instructions (i.e. some require that you have a RAM stick in a certain slot for the system to POST.

List specs (mobo, RAM, CPU, etc)
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    Here's whats in it:
    G.SKILL Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-16GNT

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

APEX AL-D500EXP 500W ATX12V Power Supply

SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC Version

Everything seems well connected and snug.
  • The most likely cause, a 24 pin, or 4/8 pin mobo power connection is not seated properly. Unplug em, replug em, make sure they connect firmly and try again.
    edited January 2013
    Checking the mobo manual, the RAM isn't listed as compatible. Would that be it? Damn Newegg and their DIY packages!
    I've checked all connections. All solid.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You can basically ignore published compatibility lists in manuals. They're old and mostly irrelevant.
    Thats what I figured. Anyway, I got it running. Thanks for all the help!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Did you determine the culprit? I remember that happening to me a long time ago but I can't remember what I did to fix it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    lol can't read ~_~
    edited January 2013
    It was a misplaced power cable. Duh! The problem now is with the new disk drive. What do I need to do to configure it to install Windows? I have the SATA port enabled in BIOS but when I try to install windows and get the blue screen saying my DD isn't configured. I did a quick format of the drive on my other machine so I'm not sure whats going on...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    A bluescreen that says what? "DD isn't configured"?

Are you installing Windows 7? If yes, then you don't need to do anything special to the drive and also make sure you have all other storage drives disconnected during install.
    You should probably just hit the optimized defaults button in BIOS, turn on AHCI if you are using a SSD, then install the main HDD in 0 and your CD/DVD R/W w/e drive in any other low numbered port. Confirm that the BIOS boot says to boot from HDD, then use F12 (or w/e your manual says) to select boot from CD/USB. Agree on you don't need to do anything special.
    There is only one HD. The computer begins the installation process from the DVD drive, that takes a couple minute while it loads drivers etc. Then there is a message at the bottom saying it is going to begin windows installation. The screen goes dark then turns blue with an error message saying windows has detected an error and has stopped to prevent damage to the computer. It says to check for viruses, remove any newly installed drives(!) or drive controllers. It goes on to saying to check that the HD is properly configured and terminated.

I've enabled all SATA ports in BIOS and tried the HD in different ones.
    Are you sure the drive is actually good? You can also go to the advanced setup/clean install screen and wipe the drive from within your installation to ensure that it is totally ready to go.
    The drive is good. I plugged into my other machine and it shows up no problem. I can read and write to it too.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Let's go back to something you said before.... You said you quick formatted it then tried to install Win 7.

Did you do a full size partitioning before quick formatting? Win 7 also has a problem sometimes with quick formatted drives, case in point I had a Win 7 install abort after a quick format on a brand new HDD (WD, if that makes any difference). I had to use UBCD and create a primary partition, then do install, and then get motherboard chipset drivers installed from motherboard driver CD/DVD after base install to get the install to work.
    edited January 2013
    Yikes. Thats above my level I'm afraid. I did do just a quick format with no partitions. I think I can follow he directions in the MS help section though. Do you think it would help? I'm installing XP first, as I just have the Win 7 upgrade disk.
    Is it an option to use my other machine to install Windows to the new HD, the put it in the new machine and boot from the HD?
  • You can install windows 7, then upgrade over it and it will activate with the supplied key.

When you run the windows 7 disk, do you see drive formatting options prior to install?
    I tried running the 7 isk, but its only an upgrade and it said to install the full version of XP first.
  • @yossarian084, I've never seen an upgrade copy demand an OS be in place prior to installation? For example, say someone brings me an XP machine that's all gaked up, virus, messy drive, whatever, I just wipe it clean, install windows 7, then do the silly step where I install it again as upgraded to finally activate it. Works everytime.

I think you need to format that drive again from the windows 7 boot up disk it should be reasonably easy. I don't think your drive is faulty, I just think somewhere in the transition between Windows XP and 7 installs you have maybe written a boot instruction, or something like that, just insert the windows 7 disk, trust me, throw the XP disk over your shoulder, it's evil, it hate's us all, just chuck it, trust me, it will feel great!

Boot from the 7 disk, do a custom install, and from there you should have an option to completely re format the drive. Intall windows 7, and yes, it won't activate on upgrade, but when you install it again over top of itself it will activate fine. It's a silly process, but it works.
    Agreed. From within the Windows boot environment, choose custom install, then select the drive in the list and delete the partitions. Click format and you'll be good to go.
    On which machine? Should I format it on my old one? There are no partitions on the new drive....
    That seems to have done the trick! The Custom Install of 7 was the key. You guys rock. Hard.
    Cliff_Forster
  • We do! Glad you have it up and running. Looking at the parts list that should make a pretty nice PC.
    Windows is doing fine but I can't connect to the net. I think I need the drivers for the ethernet on the mobo, but the disk that came with it didn't have them. Do I get them off the net or is there something else going on?
    I got the drivers online. I'm good.