ISS HDEV

d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

NASA installed some HD cameras on the outside of the ISS, now you can stream Earth! 24/7!

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

SignalCBGuppyCantidrasnorErrorNullTurnipChooch

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Glad y'all like it!

midgaprimesuspectBasilChooch
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

That's awesome. I wish my laptop here wasn't such crap, or I'd just leave it up all the time.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Awesome. I just checked it and it was crossing over the coast of the Pacific Northwest. Of course, the feed went gray and it changed cameras. I'm sure the NSA didn't want me seeing anything I shouldn't.

@drasnor said:
    Glad y'all like it!

Word on the street is that you guys sent it up. Good work! Also, you probably have one of the coolest jobs of any icrontian anywhere.

RyanFodderdrasnor

ISS departure attitude is no good for HDEV reception tragically. You can still watch on NASA TV though:

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

So this is probably a stupid question, but why isn't the ISS flying in a straight line? Relative to Earth, that is. I mean, I know that it's got a slanted orbit, but is there any reason why?

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I believe it is.. the up and down is because of the style of map they have shown underneath it. The continents are all layed out flat, so to actually show you the path, it looks like a sine wave.

GHoosdumTushon
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Sorry, I asked that in a profoundly stupid way. Let me try again.

l337 Microsoft Paint Skillz

Is there any reason the ISS doesn't fly around the Equator and instead is slanted to the poles?

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2014

All I thought of when reading that is "SCIENCE MUTHAFUCKA, DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

:eek:

@drasnor said:
    The ISS flies at a 52 degree inclination so that payload to orbit is maximized on rockets launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome (46 degrees N latitude). To reach the ISS from there, the rocket launches essentially due east.

In actuality they launch a little bit north of east so that the great circle ground track doesn't result in any of the launch vehicle stages falling to the ground in China (they fall in Mongolia instead). This is why the ISS orbital inclination is slightly higher than the latitude of Baikonur.

ErrorNullTurnip
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Also, Kerbal Space Program (http://icrontic.com/discussion/93074/kerbal-space-program). Although there you don't often have to worry about large plane change maneuvers as the launch site is at 0 deg. N and because reasons.

Did not realize Russia was the reason it was so heavily inclined. Thanks drasnor!

drasnor