Wifi randomly dropping out

davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
edited April 2015 in Science & Tech

I am having problems with the wifi on my new laptop randomly dropping out, the details are as follows:

• Laptop is Acer Aspire E15 E5-571G-79XU
  • Windows 8.1 and I have installed all updates
  • Wireless network adapter is Broadcom 802.11n and I have checked that the latest driver is installed
  • iinet service provider with BOB modem router
  • FTTH internet

Basically, regardless of what I am doing, eg surfing the net or doing nothing, the wifi drops out every few minutes - anywhere between 2 and 15 minutes. Sometimes I manually re-connect the wifi and other times it will automatically reconnect by itself.

I have multiple wifi connected devices in the house such as iPhones and ipads and desktop computer, none of them are experiencing this issue of randomly dropping out wifi except this laptop which I have only just purchased. I have experienced this problem from the first time I turned it on.

The problem seems to be isolated to this laptop and it is extremely annoying to buy a brand new laptop and be experiencing this kind of issue.

I am hoping that someone on this forum will be able to assist with diagnosing the problem, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Should I contact Acer and see if they can provide some assistance?

Comments

• I spend a significant part of my days troubleshooting WiFi. Where I work we have a WiFi infrastructure installed for residents of a large retirement home. Basically we are their ISP.

Your first troubleshooting steps are solid, to know you have the latest updates is good. You have a wireless N capable NIC on a modern laptop and you confirmed you can connect so credentials and compatability with the network protocol probably are not the problems.

So often I find a physical obstruction. You would be amazed at how much havoc a simple metal filing cabinet can wreak on a WiFi connection. What is your physical set up like? Any metal between you and the wireless access point? How far away are you from it?

CBprimesuspect
  • I have a double storey house with the wireless router downstairs next to my TV and I have a wireless repeater upstairs in the retreat. So far I have mainly been using the laptop in my bedroom upstairs, however I did try using it downstairs a couple of times basically in the same room as the router. In both these locations I have experienced problems with the wifi dropping out. Also, when using my iPhone or iPad in these locations, or anywhere in the house for that matter I do not experience any problems with wifi.

Could having too many wireless devices connected to the wireless network at the same time be causing this issue? Or could there be some sort of setting on the laptop causing this?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2015

Well, the modem being a slower wifi standard could cause something that times out faster (errors out due to no response in a fixed time) to drop connect. So yes, possible but only limitedly so. Also, busying a modem/router can cause last thing to connect to get a slow or erratic connection.

I would contact Acer tech support, yes, given all you have said here.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2015

I've had similar problems before, and I doubt it's the number of WiFi devices. My primary question is this: does it mainly happen when you are running on battery?

If this is the case, check your power settings (apologies in advance...I don't have access to a Win8 machine at the moment). You'll need to look at the advanced properties for your current power profile. In the section marked "Wireless Adapter Settings", look at the Power Saving Mode setting. Make sure it's set to Maximum Performance. Anything else will cause your WiFi card to reduce its power on battery and can cause connectivity issues, even when very close to the access point.

PirateNinja
  • @Mertesn is absolutely right. There are also settings in the driver properties that you can configure to make sure windows never shuts down your wireless adapter to save power. You want to disable windows ability to ever shut the adapter down or put it into any kind of power save state.

• Ok thanks guys, I think it has happened while plugged in as well but I'll give the power settings a go and let you know if it works.

• OK, so I have tried changing the power settings but it didn't seem to have any effect. I also found another thread where someone else had a similar problem and they disabled "WMM" in their network card settings which worked for them. I gave that a go as well but I am still having the same issues. I'm going to contact Acer and see what they say, in the meantime does anyone have any other suggestions?