Baldur's Gate 2, any good

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited January 2004 in Gaming
In the mood for a new game, and FPS just aren't doing it. Is BG2 any good? Best Buy will ship it to me for $20, free shipping.

I tried NWN when it first came out, didn't do much for me. I played BG1, but never really got involved with it past the first section.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    have you played star wars kotor yet? i don't know about BG2 cause i haven't played it, but if it's a role playing game that you're looking for, than check out kotor
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited January 2004
    BG2 is arguably the greatest rpg based on that specific set of D&D rules, however loosely. its a fantastic game, with tons of play options. it entranced me much more than KOTOR did, plus its cheaper. however, if you couldn't really get involved in BG1 or NWN, i wouldn't bet you'd get any more involved in this one, although it IS better than the original
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    BG2 owns. Best single player game I've played; NWN and BG1 really weren't as fun. I hardly remember what made the game good, but I just couldn't get enough. Btw, the expansion (ToB) is just as good as the original (SoA).

To answer your question in a word: yes.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    great game, but I won't play it until I beat BG1. :P and I can't do that until my comp can run games again.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Play Baldurs Gate 1 first otherwise it won't be as much fun. Don't forget to get the expansion for the first one too, adds a few nice extras. Then play the second one. The first one is more interesting and requires more skill as it's harder.

I really didn't like the expansion for the second one. Did anyone notice how it suddenly changed a lot? The portraits looked rushed and crap, it became pretty much a hack and slash and it wasn't interesting at all. Not to mention it just got plain stupid, invisibility didn't make you invisible, half the time there was no-where to sleep so mages were screwed. Basically the expansion for the second one was a farse and isn't worth playing, from what it seems, it wasn't even made by the same people...
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    About BG1, I played it and it was good (yes, more challenging), but I didn't love it like BG2. Is is better to play thru BG1 before BG2? I don't know myself, since I went all the way thru BG1; but I have several friends who play and love BG2 without BG1.

(for clarification)
    BG2original = SoA = Shadows of Amn
    BG2expasion = ToB = Throne of Baal
    The expansion: Well, it's true that SoA is a little more enjoyable than ToB I guess. But for one thing, I loved the ToB music! I found most of the expansion to be rather cool. Plus you get them level 10 spells and all... your characters really start kicking some ass! IMO it's worth playing.
  • edited January 2004
    i didn't like baulders gate at all, it bored me.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    EMT wrote:
    About BG1, I played it and it was good (yes, more challenging), but I didn't love it like BG2. Is is better to play thru BG1 before BG2? I don't know myself, since I went all the way thru BG1; but I have several friends who play and love BG2 without BG1..

Yes, but it's a story. Thats like watching LOTR P2 without having watched Part one. It's fine if you don't care about storys in games, but I like to be emersed into them.