CD-ROMS not recognized in xp

edited January 2004 in Hardware
Well my computer was fine yesterday, i restarted it today to play C&C and it said the disc needed to be inserted. after a few times i check my computer, no cd-rom drives. Go to system hardware, devices installed but not found. What cuold it be? they have power, i'm guessing bad ide cable? Weird it just kinda went out on me just like that and to not even have it recognize the cd-roms.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2004
    Were you doing anything in your BIOS at all? If so, it is possible you disabled them from the CMOS page. If you have a reasonably new motherboard, most likely they were set for auto-detect, so if you were working with the BIOS at all, just go back in and set all the IDE channels for auto-detect.

If you were not working in the BIOS in the past while, then you can rule that out.

Dexter...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Is it recognized in the bios?
  • edited January 2004
    Yeah I fixed the problem, it was a bad ide cable like I thought. It was weird because it was fine just last night and then it went to not even recognizing it. Usually when they've gone bad they shoot me bad data first.
  • edited January 2004
    now i'm getting this:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2004
    Sounds like the Reg file on your CD ROM has gotten corrupted. You will either have to reinstall the CD-ROM drivers, or just do a system restore if you have XP.

These pages may help:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

http://www.visioneer.com/support/general/FAQ/error19.asp

Dexter...

///EDITED TO ADD:

From the Microsoft link, some good advice:
    A registry problem was detected.
    This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration,which rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    OR, the controller on the CD-ROM is not behaving. A grounding fault (which can overload a cable's thin aluminum conductors and melt them inside) or an 80 conductor cable hooked to a CD-ROM will do this.... Make sure cable is older stlye 40 conductor cable, ok??? Adn, if someone folled witht eh little jumpers on back, and both are master or boht slave or just on Cable Select and one slave or one master, can get Windows confused as to what driver to use....

A REAL dirty CD-ROM drive (dirty inside) can cause almost all this except for a cable to die, but sharp bends in cables of IDE kinds can cause a mess also. Try what they said above also, as to removing and then restarting Windows, sometimes it will reinstall drivers from cab files if this is XP or 2000.

John.