Why is my AMD Athlon being a slacker?

Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
edited January 2004 in Hardware
I recently built my new system, and after 3 straight 12 hour days of toiling, fixing, updating, returning stuff, and yelling at the computer, I finally got it working!

...mostly

For some reason my processor is only working at 1.25Ghz, half of it's real speed. I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ XP, installed on an ASUS a7n8x. I have all the default settings for it on bios, and I don't think I did anything wrong in installing it, and the only thing I can think of that may have done something was the time my fan stopped working and I didn't notice for 5 minutes. I don't think it overheated, because it still works, but like I said, only at 1/2 speed.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    in the bios where it tells you your cpu speed change it to 2800+
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    The front side bus defaults to 100, and the cpu you have is designed to run at 166.

(12.5 * 100 = 1250, 12.5 * 166 = 2083). Go ahead and change your front side bus speed to 166.
  • Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited January 2004
    I wish it were that simple, but there is no such option. Here is a pic of the chipset options on my bios screen:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Omatic810 wrote:
    I recently built my new system, and after 3 straight 12 hour days of toiling, fixing, updating, returning stuff, and yelling at the computer, I finally got it working!

...mostly

For some reason my processor is only working at 1.25Ghz, half of it's real speed. I have an AMD Athlon 2800+ XP, installed on an ASUS a7n8x. I have all the default settings for it on bios, and I don't think I did anything wrong in installing it, and the only thing I can think of that may have done something was the time my fan stopped working and I didn't notice for 5 minutes. I don't think it overheated, because it still works, but like I said, only at 1/2 speed.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated!

Seen the same problem here and i think there is at least 5 threads about the same thing. Read the manual as well as follow swaip's excellent suggestion/explanation. Just change the cpu/fsb speed to "manual" so that the fsb ends on 133 (266DDR)
    Change the top one, the external frequency to 133 and multi to 12.5
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2004
    Change the memory timings to something more relaxed but not optimal.

Cpu Freq Multiple should be 12.5

What are some options for CPU external Freq. It says 100 now.

Mack: Should be 166 not 133.
    edited January 2004
    Nah, the optimal timings should be fine at 133.
  • edited January 2004
    Mack the proc won't be running it's rated speed at 133 as that is a 166 fsb proc. The default settings for the XP2800+ are 166 fsb and 12.5 multi, Omatic810. I have an earlier version of the board. The worst problem I see with my board is the lack of being able to use the whole range of multipliers. Mine will only use the 12.5 and under multis with a proc that like the 2500 or 2800. If you try a higher multi than 12.5, it default back to the low multi's again.
    edited January 2004
    Omatic, where it says 100, change it to 166
  • edited January 2004
    1337 photochop skilz! ;D
  • Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited January 2004
    Alrite, I just adjusted it (to 166) and now Sandra says the correct speed- 2.08Ghz. Thanks for all the help guyz!
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited January 2004
    Yeah mack, your wrong on this one.
    BTW, It takes a lot of heat to burn A CPU, not just a fan not working. If your proc is too hot, your PC will reboot or give serious errors.
    Even If you have had lots problems, don't discourage yourself Omatic, I'm sure you have acquired a great deal of knowledge with all this tinkering. Athlon systems kick ass ( when they are working like they are suppose too of course :) )
    edited January 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    1337 photochop skilz! ;D

PH40R!
    edited January 2004
    Off course i was wrong. I mixed up 133 and 166.